R4511 Fence Alignment

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: R4511 Fence Alignment

I realize that you posted your question a few months ago, and another user may have already addressed this issue, but I came across this same problem on another forum so I thought I would pass it on:

" Fence shifts just so slightly when locked – I’ll position the fence spot on, but once I lock it down, it’ll shift slightly toward the blade. I found the problem to be related to the metal wing on the left side of my fence – it was skewed downwards – causing the plastic cap to contact the rail on it’s top part – and locking the fence in a set angle, but if you pushed the handle lower – it would “straighten” the skewed wing+cap, and although the fence would still be just as locked – it would shift a tab bit to the left, throwing it off it’s mark. – FIX – I used pliers and bent the skewed metal wing back to being parallel to the fences’ body – now the entire left cap contacts the rail when locked all at once, and the fence stays ON THE MARK from beginning to end of locking procedure. FANTASTIC!"

I hope that helps.

Comment

haha, Thanks Richara - you actually quoted ME. this was taken from my review of the R4511 I posted on lumberjocks.

I actually posted the review there, after I figured out how to solve the problem on THIS thread that you just posted on.

but thanks for tying it all together

Comment

Originally posted by woodworkerwannabe View Post
        I also had problems with the two piece front rail creating precise and repeatable alignment impossible. The two sections of the rail itself was aligned perfectly, but when the joint was straddled with the fence and locked down, the pressure would cause one of the sections to move. The bottom of the rail would remain secured by the bolts but the top of the rails would actually shift out of alignment with one another. It took me many painstaking hours of multiple adjustments of the rails and fence before I discovered this problem. I finally created a mending plate that would secure the two sections but not interfere with operation of the fence. Because of what appeared to me to be a design flaw,I contacted Ridgid support through this website assuming that this problem was not unique to my saw. They informed me that that had not in fact received any complaints of this nature with the fence. I have not followed up any more. To be specific again, my problem would only appear when checking the fence to miter alignment with the fence straddling the rail joint. Alignment was fine all along the rail except when the fence lock down would compromise the stability of the joint. Before my repair it was possible to visually see the rail shift. Has anyone else noticed this? If not perhaps only a few of these two piece rails are too weak in the joint.
        I have the same problem and started a thread about it yesterday. http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33832 Not sure what you mean by a medning plate, but I considered some sort of brace to keep the left rail from moving ever so slighly. I wonder if drilling an extra hole to secure the left rail to the angle iron support might not remedy the problem.

Comment

Working...
        X