X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with Drill Press Table Support Lock

I just bought and assembled the DP15501 Drill Press. Overall, I am pleased with the fit and finish, as well as the weight, and the serpentine belts help give it a smooth, low vibration performance. I have only run the unit without a bit in it so far, but I know I am going to enjoy it. It's very quiet with no detectable runout.

The problem that I am having has to do with the table support lock. Tightening it seems to have little to no effect on locking the rotation of the table support around the column. I guess other drill presses use the same construction method, but this seems imprecise to me: when I do rotate the table support around the column the entire rack rotates around the column. Due to the design, the top starts to move ahead of the bottom. The real issue, though, is that I just cannot lock the table support column; it is always able to spin around the column. Has anyone else had this problem?

The rack and pinion action is fairly smooth, but it does seem a bit rough a one spot in each rotation of the table adjustment handle. Everything seems to be assembled correctly, so I am at a loss. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks.
    There are three kinds of people in this world - those who can count, and those who can't.

Re: Need help with Drill Press Table Support Lock

Steve, I had/have the same issue with my DP. I cleaned the tube column with a degreaser after assembly, and still noticed the table could be rotated about the column. The only way I've found to correct this is to turn the table support lock as tight as possible (by hand). Also on my drill it seems the depth scale lock sticks and if I want to drill a deeper hole I must loosen the lock and pull down through the previous lock point only then will the DSL allow itself to be re-adjusted.

Comment

Resolved: Need help with Drill Press Table Support Lock

Thanks for the reply, Richard. I actually fixed the problem last night. I removed the entired rack and table support assembly. Upon examining the pinion gear, I noticed it was all the way to one side of the rack. I centered it on the rack, re assembled the entire assembly and added some WD40 to the rack. (A thicker silicone grease in a thin layer might be better.) Now the rack and pinion movement is much smoother and the table support lock seems to work fine. It takes some effort to tighten the support lock to where the table support arm does not move, but that is the nature of the design. I may replace the table support lock "crank" with a big, cushioned star knob, just because I like them.

The entire rack/table assembly rotates rather smoothly around the column, although sometimes I notice a little catching or dragging where the rack slips into the base. No big deal, and a little grease may cure that.

Now I have the bandsaw, SCMS and the drill press assembled and fine tuned, so it is off to assemble the jointer. More later, along with photos of my "orange" garage. My Ridgid TS3650 table saw, 13" planer and oscillating sander now have company!

Steve
      There are three kinds of people in this world - those who can count, and those who can't.

Comment

Working...
      X