This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: R4511 Assembly Hints

This may be a no brainer to some (most) but it's not in the instructions and I haven't seen mention of it. On the miter bar, there about 5 little allen screws that can be used to snug up the bar to the T-slot and eliminate the play.

Comment

Originally posted by Smack View Post
      This may be a no brainer to some (most) but it's not in the instructions and I haven't seen mention of it. On the miter bar, there about 5 little allen screws that can be used to snug up the bar to the T-slot and eliminate the play.
      I mentioned it in one of my posts. I found the screws go out of adjustment, perhaps from rubbing against the slot. I removed them and de-greased em and applied a drop of fingernail polish, that seems to cure them and they have stayed adjusted.

Buck

Comment

After lugging the beast downstairs into the basement Sunday, tonight I continued the assembly. But to my dismay the front right insert where I tried to screw in one of the threaded extension wing stud would not catch. I look at the thread and low and behold the insert was never tapped! Fudge!

I really don't want to have to exchange with a new top after all the work I went though to reinstall the top (removed to lighten up the load) and aligning the miter slot (got it to 0.001").

So I am wondering if I picked up a tap and die set and tried to cut some threads in it if that would work. Otherwise I might just try to see how it works with the missing stud. I know I "should" get HD to replace.

Ed

Comment

Originally posted by Edwood View Post
          So I am wondering if I picked up a tap and die set and tried to cut some threads in it if that would work.
          I think that I might try this. Additionally, it'd give you the tool to clean out the threads in the other threaded inserts.

Otherwise I might just try to see how it works with the missing stud.
          I think I'd be mighty careful about that. I suspect taht those threaded studs are pretty important to the stability of the top. It'd be an awful shame for the thing to sag half-way through a cut, or, Heaven forbid, fall off.

I know I "should" get HD to replace.

Ed
          That'd probably be the best option, if they've got another saw in stock. On the other hand, if you're anything like me, the "best option" isn't usually the one you'll pick .
          De Colores,
          Dow
          Boerne, TX

Comment

I had to ream out all my inserts. I think they were all tapped, but maybe had epoxy in them. Anyway I bought a tap and cleaned them out. Now I am all set for whenever I need to tap a 5/6 hole. Oh boy!

Comment

I got HD to give me a 5/16" x 18 plug tap and I cut the treads into the insert. It worked fine and I was able to install all 3 studs on the right side. Got the saw all together and I just need to make the final alignments and tweeks then I can finally make some saw dust.

Originally posted by Edwood View Post
              After lugging the beast downstairs into the basement Sunday, tonight I continued the assembly. But to my dismay the front right insert where I tried to screw in one of the threaded extension wing stud would not catch. I look at the thread and low and behold the insert was never tapped! Fudge!

I really don't want to have to exchange with a new top after all the work I went though to reinstall the top (removed to lighten up the load) and aligning the miter slot (got it to 0.001").

So I am wondering if I picked up a tap and die set and tried to cut some threads in it if that would work. Otherwise I might just try to see how it works with the missing stud. I know I "should" get HD to replace.

Ed

Comment

Hello all,

I started assembling this saw last night and everything was going smoothly until today. I'm trying to install the belt and the motor is running into the side of the case when I try to bevel it. I saw someone else mentioned this, but I never understood what the solution is. I'm sure there has to be some adjustment to make. I just can't figure it out from the manual or the parts list and I'd rather not mess something up. Please advise and thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by mgoblue7 View Post
                  Hello all,

I started assembling this saw last night and everything was going smoothly until today. I'm trying to install the belt and the motor is running into the side of the case when I try to bevel it. I saw someone else mentioned this, but I never understood what the solution is. I'm sure there has to be some adjustment to make. I just can't figure it out from the manual or the parts list and I'd rather not mess something up. Please advise and thanks.
                  At this point, the motor is free to move front. So, all you have to do is hold the motor little front so that u don't hit the cabinet while operating the bevel.

Comment

Originally posted by indianrider View Post
                    At this point, the motor is free to move front. So, all you have to do is hold the motor little front so that u don't hit the cabinet while operating the bevel.
                    Thanks, I actually just came in here to edit my post because I finally figured it out. I feel stupid. Must be tired.

Comment

Originally posted by mgoblue7 View Post
                      Thanks, I actually just came in here to edit my post because I finally figured it out. I feel stupid. Must be tired.
                      Don't worry. I was trying to figure out the same thing when i installed mine.

Comment

Well, I essentially got the saw put together on Sunday and Monday. I was in a bit of a rush to get it done since I was having knee surgery this morning. I wanted to have it assembled and the garage rearranged. I still need to install the blade and safety gear, but that is something I can do without much stress on the knee.

The assembly was easier that I expected, but it did still take quite a bit of time. One of the reasons it was easier than I thought it would be is this forum. I'd like to thank everyone for sharing their experiences, mistakes, pictures, etc. It helped a great deal.

I do have a question though. There were eight screws and washers for the front rails, but that leaves two open holes on the left rail. Two screws were placed where the switch attaches, one adjacent to the switch and one at the hole closest to the connector to the right rail. All four holes in the left rail have screws. Were there supposed to be 10 screws? The bag label only indicated eight. If we are suposed to attach the rails with the eight screws they included, did I do the right thing leaving two of the middle holes on the left front rail empty? Thanks.

Comment

There are 8 screws in the bag for figure C. In one of the bags for figure A (the one that has the yellow switch key) there are two more of the same screws with washers. I believe these were the ones for the switch attachment, but it doesn't really matter since they are all the same. All the holes are utilized in attaching the rail.

Dave

Go Blue ! (myself, my wife, and my son are all U of M grads)

Comment

R4511 Table Alignment

Just wanted to add a link in this thread to Dave's excellent alignment procedure for the R4511. Check it out if you just purchased a R4511 and are in the process of setting it up.

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25836
                            "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
                            John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Originally posted by DaveWoodWork View Post
                              There are 8 screws in the bag for figure C. In one of the bags for figure A (the one that has the yellow switch key) there are two more of the same screws with washers. I believe these were the ones for the switch attachment, but it doesn't really matter since they are all the same. All the holes are utilized in attaching the rail.

Dave

Go Blue ! (myself, my wife, and my son are all U of M grads)
                              Thanks Dave, that makes sense. I didn't open the figure C bag yet.

(Both my mom and dad are Michigan grads and I grew up going to the campus and games so I've been a lifelong fan)

Comment

I work at Home depot so I've assembled a few of these (3 granite and a bunch of 3660s) I've got it down to under 2 hours time, the best way I've found is to tip it over on its top and put it together up side down just make sure the motor is not going to flop around when its tipped. I put cardboard from the packing down to protect the top and roll it CAREFULLY. The lift is put together on a bench and it, with the dust chute bolt to the saw and its tipped upright for the rest of the assembly..When I put in the studs for the wings I put the nut around the end of the stud where the allen key goes to prevent the stud from cracking when tightened..
                                Last edited by don62; 06-25-2009, 06:24 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X