X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: R4511 Assembly Hints

Have never assembled anything like this, any hints or pointers directed at noobs in general? I work with saws every day, I just don't service or put them together... Not going to start it till I finish reading some of those mammoth threads some of you guys have been posting and contributing on the r4511.

And thanks for all the information already posted here.

Comment

Originally posted by JDenney View Post
      I just got my 4511 home and am trying to put all the information together on this and a couple of other sites that I've seen. The main 4511 Availabilty thread has gotten huge, so I thought it might be helpful to put everything in one place. Hopefully, the authors I will link to won't mind, if so, please let me know and I'll gladly remove your info.

Purplev's blog w/pics on his installation: http://lumberjocks.com/PurpLev/blog/7991

Link to Red's word doc w/excerpts from the thread relevant to assembly:
      http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/sho...=21249&page=54

I'll be adding additional posts in a few weeks when I have time to get mine put together and start using it.
      Looks like you have some excellent ideas on putting the R4511 together. Could you please tell me how to remove the granite table top?

Jerry Dean

Comment

Just thought I would share my experiance with setting up my R4511. First of all I was impressed with how it went together and turned into a very sturdy and smooth cutting surface. However from the beginning I found it impossible to square up. I followed the instructions to a tee and even bought a dial indicater to make sure I wasn't miss reading the ruller. after many attempts for over a week I decided to take the top off and check the trunnion. The whole time I the blade was almost an 1/8" out of true to the right as you look at the front of the saw. When I loosened the four bolts on the trunnion I was able to get almost a 1/16" play and was able to square it to the cabinet. I know not usaly nessacary but I was trying to eliminate every possible problem. Then I had a friend come over and he helped me lift the top back on. once we did that I alined the back right hole under the motor cover. Once I did that I eye balled it and tryed to line it up. When I put the dial indicator on to check it I was with in .005 of true. thats when I took my lucky stars and started to tighten down the remaining screws. Lo and behold when I got to the front left screw I found that it was out of alignment by almost a 1/4". When I try to insert this screw it takes the whole table top out of alignment. Now I have a table saw that has the top held on by three not four screws. I hope Ridgid can do something to fix this major error in quality control.

Comment

Hi, new to the site, but wanted to pass my thanks on for the assembly hints given here on the R4511. I picked one up last night at my local HD. $499 less 10% for a Lowes cpn, and also have the form for the friends and family 15% rebate to send in.
          Putting together was about 4 hours for me, but went very well, thanks to the hints given here.........oh, and the fact that I have a tractor I could use to lift the dang heavy thing out of the back of my pickup.

Comment

Because I do not have a dust collection system and that it most likely is several years away, when assembling the saw I decided to not install the dust collection pan.
            Now I regret my decision after installing a table extension and a router table; I wonder how I shall install the pan in the future.
            It will be nightmare.
            Most probably I shall have to separate the saw at the bottom and lift it with chain hoist or something.
            If I had to do it again I would install the pan even if I have to use a shop vac to empty it or to connect to it.
            Bert

Comment

Originally posted by b2rtch View Post
              Because I do not have a dust collection system and that it most likely is several years away, when assembling the saw I decided to not install the dust collection pan.
              Now I regret my decision after installing a table extension and a router table; I wonder how I shall install the pan in the future.
              It will be nightmare.
              Most probably I shall have to separate the saw at the bottom and lift it with chain hoist or something.
              If I had to do it again I would install the pan even if I have to use a shop vac to empty it or to connect to it.
              Bert
              Ditto.

I have the same situation and same regret.

Comment

Well, I am in good company.
                Bert

Comment

I just assembled mine. The instructions could have been better, but between the text, the photos, good help I got here, and some common sense, I got it all together.

FWIW, I put the base on my saw (with the dust collection installed) with the unit on it's back. To get it back up, I used a series of blocks (2x's) and a long board to lift it a bit at a time, until it was about a third of the way up. Then I grabbed the top and used my legs to tilt it the rest of the way. It would have been easier with a helper, but it wasn't too bad.

I still need to check the alignment, but at least I know I have all the parts and nothing is broken. I can't wait to make some sawdust!

I got mine on clearance ($299). I couldn't be happier with the purchase.

Comment

I am new to this forum, and just purchased an R4511 from Home Depot here in Victoria, BC, Canada. I was taken in by the the lifetime warranty. I love furniture making and hand tools, though I can't get around the ease and repeatability of a good rip setup on a table saw. So I asked around and a friend told me to read up on the R4511 - I reviewed the feature set, and thought that for the price, this type of saw fit my needs nicely, so I saved and saved and bought one - my first "new" major power tool.

So today, I was very excited to get the saw. HD delivered it right into my single car garage, and it came in nicely packed unit, as others have mentioned. I spent a few frustrating hours getting the Herc Base setup (still not sure I used all the right parts, though the blow up listed lengths of bolts/screws etc.). I was quite frustrated by the manual and the reference to parts in figures A, B . . . etc. I figured, I had better stop for the day and do some google searches. I was pleasantly surprised to find this Word Document, and a review listed in this forum. I plan on getting back at it with the new information about the parts and figures. This is my first saw, so none of this is intuitive for me. I sure appreciate the compilation of notes - and I am glad I put the wrenches down to come and search a bit. Thanks again for the info. Time to get a few ZZzzzz's, and hopefully my newborn will let me get back to assembly this week.

Comment

To whoever discovered and posted, a long time ago, that the fence and rails from the Craftsman granite saw would bolt right up to the R4511 has my much deserved thanks! Not cheap but an easy fix to a vary annoying fault with this saw. Now I love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks again,
                      GAS

Comment

this may not be the right place, but has anybody had trouble with the blade insert plate being bent/ bowed down? can you get another stronger plate that fits the 4511?

Comment

Working...
                        X