X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R4511 Assembly Hints

I just got my 4511 home and am trying to put all the information together on this and a couple of other sites that I've seen. The main 4511 Availabilty thread has gotten huge, so I thought it might be helpful to put everything in one place. Hopefully, the authors I will link to won't mind, if so, please let me know and I'll gladly remove your info.

Purplev's blog w/pics on his installation: http://lumberjocks.com/PurpLev/blog/7991

Link to Red's word doc w/excerpts from the thread relevant to assembly:
    http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/sho...=21249&page=54

I'll be adding additional posts in a few weeks when I have time to get mine put together and start using it.

Re: R4511 Assembly Hints

I don't mind at all. If it helps people out, that is what we are here for.

Red
    Red

Comment

I just finished putting together my R4511. This is my first table saw, so I spent a lot of time getting to know the parts as I put it together. I wrote up some assembly tips I found to be useful and attached them. I've also included a copy of the Repair Sheet, which is mandatory for assembly. For those who may be interested, I've listed some part weights below.

Main granite table top - 88 lbs; Each side extension - 50 lbs (total granite weight of 188 lbs!); Fence - 9.6 lbs; Front rail mounting bracket - 7.5 lbs (0.19 inch thick, 6 to 7 gauge); Front rail - 11.5 lbs; Rear rail - 3.6 lbs (0.11 inch thick, 12 gauge); Smaller box with parts - 36 lbs; The saw's total weight is listed as 452 lbs.

For reference, other threads in this forum having to do with assembly of the R4511 table saw:
      R4511 Fence Alignment
      Table saw R4511
      R4511 Fence Adjustments
      Ridgid R4511 splitter adjustment issues
      Aligning splitter on R4511
      R4511 Blade won't raise all the way
      4511 extension wing levelling
      AAAHHHGGGHHH! 4511 with wrong bags in it
      R4511 and Herc-U-Lift question
      Riving knife for the R4511 (where you can get a nice low profile one)
      R4511 Table top to saw blade alignment instructions

And of course there are some assembly tips scattered within the last half of the now-famous thread Ridgid R4511 availability?

Also, you can find some helpful tips and alternative assembly instructions within the Steel City 35900G instruction manual. This saw is similar in some aspects to the R4511. Some of their photos and explanations are better than that in the R4511 manual. The Steel City 35920 is nearly identical to the R4511, but that manual is not yet on their web site.

Dave
      Attached Files
      Last edited by DaveWoodWork; 07-08-2009, 12:55 AM. Reason: Revised a link

Comment

Awesome tip sheet Dave! I was reading my assembly guide and repair guide trying to get a better understanding of the parts last night. This looks like it will be a great guide.

Comment

Dave,

When screwed on the dust chute did it sit flush so the rubber tape or whatever sealed the openings helping with dust collection? I seem to have a thin gap around all four sides???? Probably a 16th or so.

Thanks...

Comment

Hi csoler01,

My Dust Chute Assembly (part #30) also shows a slight gap between the cabinet base and the rim of the Dust Chute at the space where the gasket material is placed. I think it's too small to significantly effect dust collection through a 4 inch hose. The opening around the tilting handle on the front is much bigger.
            Attached Files

Comment

Dave,

Thanks for the reply.....I was pretty frustrated during the assembly and wasnt sure if it was something that I missed or not. I have the top on and looking to level the wings and then add the fence so I can start cutting!!!

Comment

Originally posted by DaveWoodWork View Post
                Hi csoler01,

My Dust Chute Assembly (part #30) also shows a slight gap between the cabinet base and the rim of the Dust Chute at the space where the gasket material is placed. I think it's too small to significantly effect dust collection through a 4 inch hose. The opening around the tilting handle on the front is much bigger.
                A buddy of mine places a magnetic vinyl strip over the tilt opening to increase the dust pickup efficiency.

Comment

Thanks for the tip sheets, Dave, JDenny, and Red. I had to remove the top from the cabinet on mine to get it unloaded. Now I've just got to figure a way to get the cabinet up on the stand without any help.

I just remembered, I've got a come-along. Maybe I can hang it from the rafter and lift it up that way.
                  De Colores,
                  Dow
                  Boerne, TX

Comment

Originally posted by dow View Post
                    I just remembered, I've got a come-along. Maybe I can hang it from the rafter and lift it up that way.
                    That's exactly how I lifted mine onto the stand. The picture shows the come-along attached to the ceiling joist with the cable going to the lifting strap attached to the trunnions where they bolt into the cabinet. In retrospect, I should have had the come-along on the lower end with the cable going to the joist. This would have given me more room to maneuver the come-along handle.

Dave
                    Attached Files

Comment

DaveWoodWork,

I just want to make sure I understand your cheat sheet correctly. For the dust chute your saying to mount the cabinet to the stand and then remove the side bracket? This will allow enough room to install the chute?

I lucked out i guess, I have all the bags. But there is a rather large white "streak" in the granite. its natural stone what can you do.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveWoodWork View Post
                        In retrospect, I should have had the come-along on the lower end with the cable going to the joist. This would have given me more room to maneuver the come-along handle.

Dave
                        Yep, what's that they say about hindsight? Thanks for the pictures.
                        De Colores,
                        Dow
                        Boerne, TX

Comment

Originally posted by Josh Gerber View Post
                          DaveWoodWork,

I just want to make sure I understand your cheat sheet correctly. For the dust chute your saying to mount the cabinet to the stand and then remove the side bracket? This will allow enough room to install the chute?

I lucked out i guess, I have all the bags. But there is a rather large white "streak" in the granite. its natural stone what can you do.
                          No, you want to put the dust chute in before you put the cabinet on the base. He's saying that if you remove two of the bolts from the base that it's easier to the the dust chute in there and then you put it back together. Personally, I did this last night, and in retrospect, I think that it would have been easier if I'd have put the chute in and then put the herc-u-lift in, rather than the way I did it. That way you don't have to remove any bolts, and you can easily reach the screws holding the dust chute in. As it is, I need a stubby phillips screwdriver with a skinny handle or an extra long shank phillips to finish tightening those screws.
                          Last edited by dow; 04-30-2009, 10:30 AM.
                          De Colores,
                          Dow
                          Boerne, TX

Comment

Originally posted by Josh Gerber View Post
                            DaveWoodWork,

Hi Josh,

The way I did mine was to mount the Herc-U-Lift assembly to the legs, then mount the dust chute to the legs. To get the dust chute between the Herc-U-Lift assembly and the upper rim of the legs, I had to temporarily remove the two bolts attaching one of the side braces to the rear legs. This allowed me to "open things up" enough to get the dust chute into place. Once the dust chute was in position, I re-attached the bolts I had temporarily removed. I also used the 4 screws to loosely attach the dust chute to the rim of the legs. Now everything is ready to lift the cabinet onto the lower assembly.

Some people recommend that you attach the dust chute to the legs before attaching the Herc-U-Lift assembly to the legs. This will work also. I just thought it might be easier to attach the 4 Herc-U-Lift bolts without the dust chute in the way.

I hope this helps clear things up.

Dave

Comment

Question:

How does the main table top come off the saw? I thought I felt bolts in each corner under the top....I actually felt 2 sets, one is the trunions and the other is the top. is it just a matter of pulling those bolts?

My table top has a chip in it and the store was nice enough to let me swap the part if I can bring them the chipped one.

Thanks.

-Chris

Comment

Working...
                              X