No announcement yet.

Finish for outdoor funiture

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finish for outdoor funiture

I have made some basic Adirondack chairs from pine. I am donating them to a church auction in 3 weeks. Problem is that I really don't know much about finishing pine for outdoor applications. Truth be know I don't know much about finishing wood at all.

Can someone suggest a finish that will make them look nice and is relatively dummy proof? Maybe something I can wipe on with a rag that won't streak or color blotch and that doesn't need more than a week or so to completely finish. A single product that will get the job done would also be nice.

I have looked at tung oil, basic water sealer (Olympic), and boiled linseed oil.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Re: Finish for outdoor funiture

I'm DEFINITELY no woodworker. But I did do a project and used this with satisfaction.

Have you looked at wipe-on polyurethane? Or maybe even spray poly. The wipe-on would be less expensive, I think. I've used both with very good results. The spray on is easier IMO. You spray very thin coats and be real careful with vertical and pitched surfaces. The wipe-on might actually be easier for an adirondack since you can control the drips a whole lot easier. Either way, I think poly would be the finish of choice for pine.

Spar Urethane is a good brand, if you want brush-on. It's tricky to apply, so keep the coats thin.
      I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

I am in the process of finishing my 4th. Adirondack Chair. They set out on our dock and are exposed to the elements(no snow.) and have held up well. I primed each piece with Kilz and painted each piece with a good exterior paint. Then assembled and did a final touch up. I made the chairs out of number 2 pine and used wood filler to cover any gouges and knots prior to priming.

Outdoor furniture is the most abused, simply by being outdoors. Do the auction winner a favor and give them a low maintenance product. Without question, the lowest maintenance outdoor finish is a high quality, carefully applied exterior paint. It blocks the sun/UV. It keeps water out of the wood pores. Done and hopefully good for 3-5 years.

But perhaps painted is not the finish you're going for.

Polyurethane (spar = exterior version) is really good, but a real pain to re-do when it starts to go, which might be as long as 2-3 years, depending on where you live. I see the OP is in Arizona... LOTS of sun and heat... enough to perhaps blister paint. Poly would probably hold up pretty well.

Then there's a simply oil-based stain finish. That Cabot's product is top notch. It's what I use up here on my own outdoor furniture (cedar) where we get snow and have humid, hot summers. The great thing about a semi-transparent oil stain is that it requires very little work to reapply it down the road. Just a quick scuff sand to get the dirt off and knock off any loose pigment particles, then reapply liberally. It'll soak in where it needs to. I've mostly used their "Honey Teak", but they have a relatively new color (at least to me) called "Karrah Brown" which is really quite nice. I'll be using that on future pieces. It looks like dark teak when applied to most woods. IIRC, it kind of looks like mahogany when applied over pine.