New Shop Help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Shop Help

First, I apologize because I know this topic has been covered, but I want to explain my specific situation. I am building a new shop and need to decide how to heat it. I will try to give all the relevant information.

Structure: Will be a 500 sf footprint with 10' high walls. Steeply pitched roof w/ a dormer and stairs leading to a upstairs finishing/storage area. 2x6 walls w/ R21 insulation. 10'x8' garage door w/ approx R9 insulation. The roof will have spray foam insulation (unknown R-value).

Environment: Portland Oregon. Winter can get somewhat cold and always wet. Typically we can expect a few cold spells w/ the highs in the 20s. Mostly winter nights in the mid 30s -40 and highs in the 40s. Nothing too cold too prolonged. It is a shop - with dust and everything that goes with woodworking.

Desires: I would like to have a thermostatically controlled heating source. I want to make sure the temperature stays above 35 w/ the ability to reach 60 both downstairs and up. I would like to keep the price below $250. (I would like to, but can go a bit higher)

I will not be able to use natural gas. I do not want propane. I'm leaning to electrical heaters, but haven't ruled out a floor radiant heat (but am within several days of that no longer being an option).

Thanks for any advise and web sites you can give.
    Last edited by cjh20; 04-29-2009, 10:00 PM.

Re: New Shop Help

About all you have left is a wood or pellet stove. They give off great heat. You can use electric as a back up for when the stove goes out when your not there. Good luck.

Red
    Red

Comment

Have you thought about a wood burning furnace ? They install outside the building and have been improved to being highly efficient with exhaust gas recirculation and ability to heat water also. I thought about one, but living in Texas, I need heat about a week and that's it. Now if they could get it to do AC I'd be there.

Comment

There is a great forum at garagejournal.com. I heard about it from this site but there is another large group of very knowledgeable people over there who could help you out. They have a specific HVAC section of the forum as well.

Good luck,

Teddy

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm going to repost this to the HVAC section - never even thought about placing a post any place other than the woodworking area.

Comment

Working...
          X