X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I return my DeWalt DW745 for a TS2410LS

I took advantage of the Ultimate Power Deal recently, but I still have a chance to re-do if necessary.

I bought the DeWalt DW745 based on many excellent reviews, never really giving thought to the Ridgid TS2410LS, as I had been reading some negatives on the Miter saw. Now that I am reading more, I see many love their Ridgid TS2410LS saws.

In any case, I am a homeowner, so most of projects will be geared toward that. But I may want to expand in the future.

The thing that keep irritating me about the DeWalt is the anti-kickback pawls. They keep tearing into the wood. The 16" rip capacity doesn't help either. I do like the pinion style fence adjustment, which I think the Ridgid does not have. It doesn't hurt that the Ridgid also has a stand included and has a lifetime warranty.

I paid $279 for the DeWalt after discount (+$75 for stand), and I would probably pay about $349 for the Ridgid after discount, which includes stand.

I know there are some threads floating around about the TS2410LS, and I have read most of them. I am not looking for an in-depth response, but rather any gotchas or obvious reasons I should keep or trade the DeWalt for the Ridgid as you see it. I forgot to mention that I have a garage, so space and portability is not as much of a concern as it might be for others.

Thanks in advance for helping a Noob,

Chris
    Last edited by sumocomputers; 04-30-2009, 12:47 PM.

Re: Should I return my DeWalt DW745 for a TS2410LS

Im not familiar with the fence on the DeWalt, but I have to think it couldnt work much better than the fence on my 2400 did. The fence is what sold me on the Ridgid model to begin with.......the Bosch was a slightly nicer saw until you came down to the fence. For the extra $$, I wasnt impressed with the Bosch. I never really looked at the DeWalt......I ended up getting the Ridgid on Black Friday for 299 (a STEAL). Used it on and off for a couple years but upgraded to a 3660 (and last night, upgraded that to a 4511 ).

The stand was REALLY nice and functional. I never collapsed it though, but it sure was nice to have a portable saw at a good cutting height instead of trying to rest it on something (or make something myself).

Overall I was very impressed by the 2400 (and then the 3660). Ridgid seems to know what they are doing when it comes to table saws (even if they do outsource to other companies).

Comment

I don't like the DeWalt fence because it's not very quick if you have large adjustments to make. I've had no issues with my fence.

The stand that the Ridgid comes with allows the wheels to stay on the ground so that you can easily move the set up if you need to do so. A lot of other stands pick the wheels off the ground, if they even have wheels at all.

The dolly type of transporting is awesome.

I'd do the trade in a heartbeat, but that's me.

Comment

My Son-in-Law has the DW745 because he was able to get one at Lowes using his Mother's discount. He has used it extensively for about two years. A few weeks ago I gave him my old TS2400 for helping me horse around my new 4511. He has not touched his 745 since! Fence is better, stand with wheels is better, cutting capacity is better and finally, he can now cut 3/4 inch dados in 'one' pass.

Just one real life example,

Big G

Comment

Hey guys, that helps a lot.

I actually just got off the phone with DeWalt regarding the pawl issue, and it seemed like a real pain for them to send me the "Newly" designed blade safety assembly, which might fix the problem

I think I will be trading it out tonight for the Ridgid.

Thanks,

Chris

Comment

The Dewalt 745 is a much smaller saw than the Ridgid TS2410. They don't even compete to be honest, the TS2410 is more on the level of the 744 where as the 745 is like Ridgid's newer compact table saw model R4516. I recenlty purchased a TS2410 and I'm more than happy with it. I bought a 744 at the same time and did a little test. The 744 was a good saw but not worth the extra $60 so it went back to Lowes. The fence is awesome and there is no set up what so ever. The Stand is great, my wife can even set the saw up and take it back down with no problem. I would take advantage of the Ultimate Power Deal at HD if I were you seeing as it would be like a zero cost upgrade!

Comment

Originally posted by Ru&Lins_05 View Post
              The Stand is great, my wife can even set the saw up and take it back down with no problem. I would take advantage of the Ultimate Power Deal at HD if I were you seeing as it would be like a zero cost upgrade!
              A good sturdy stand for a table saw is a must if you are going to cut any long or wide stock through it. I'd take Ru&Lins' suggestion regarding the stand that comes with the Ridgid saw as it collapses for portability in a small shop area. You'll definitely appreciate having one that came with the saw. I don't have the saw in question, but if it's anything like the MSUV for transporting or collapsing the miter saw, it's pretty easy to operate.

Comment

I went back and had a painless upgrade, and did not lose my original savings. And after returning the DeWalt stand to Amazon, the cost is actually slightly lower by about $5 on the Ridgid.

I am really happy to have more table to work with and 8" more capacity to the right of the blade.

I am keeping the DeWalt DW716 Miter Saw though. I just saw too many problems with the Ridgids and a lot of positives on the DW716.

Thanks again for the advice.

Chris

Comment

Working...
                X