X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Refinishing Floors

At some point in the indefinite future I will be refinishing a number of floors in my home. The floors are old red-oak and I'm considering staying with a wax finish rather than going to poly. I understand it will be more work and the floors will be more prone to a variety of injuries, can anyone think of other reasons to move away from wax?

Also, does anyone have a recommendation for brands of penetrating sealer that may be superior products?

Much appreciated...

Re: Refinishing Floors

I'm a purist when it comes to wood products. Then again, I grew up in households with wooden floors that required constant maintenance. Until you've waxed and polished an expanse of wooden floors, you can't know the pain and trouble it is. I swore to never have a wooden floor. Now, with the poly finishes, I'm very happy with the expansive amount of wooden floors we have. I would seriously reconsider your decision. The old finishes just don't work.
    I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

They are nice but I would use at lease shelac over the stain and under the wax BRI wax perhaps but I would look at https://www.waterlox.com/

Comment

We had a professional sand and refinish a few of the rooms in our 1887 house. Unfortunately the entire first floor had to be replaced, due to wear, old heat and return cutouts and just a century a hard knocks.

The upstairs hall and three bedrooms were sanded, stained and poly'd w/three coats. They are actually easier to care for than the new red oak and I wish the old first floor had been good enough to save.

I'd suggest poly if you can put up with the odor. It lasted for months and even after a year, if the house is closed up in this warm weather you can smell the poly. BUT, they look pretty good and are very durable.

CWS

Comment

You will find that you will probably have to stay with a wax finish. Wax penetrates to a degree that it's very difficult to completely sand it off or out of the floor, if the floor was never finished with a shellac or varnish before the wax was applied. You can sand it to clean it up but wax is about the only thing that will stick anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Cookn View Post
            You will find that you will probably have to stay with a wax finish. Wax penetrates to a degree that it's very difficult to completely sand it off or out of the floor, if the floor was never finished with a shellac or varnish before the wax was applied. You can sand it to clean it up but wax is about the only thing that will stick anymore.
            I hadn't really considered that. You're probably right. The previous owner had some water damage in a hallway that required refinishing to repair. Its still wax finished and now I wonder if it was a necessity rather than an election. Hmmm...

Comment

Working...
            X