X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4511 extension wing levelling.

Well, I got it put together and running. It's a beautiful thing, and I'm really looking forward to using it. However, I've got just one snag (so far).

I"ve got the wings leveled and adjusted pretty good (not quite flush, but very close), but some of the allen head adjustment screws on the bottom are loose. To get it all level, I had to back the ones closest to the main table out and then raise the outer ones. What would you recommend that I do with the loose ones? I could just go ahead and pull them out, or maybe locktite them in so they don't get lost. Or did I do it wrong?

Thoughts?
    De Colores,
    Dow
    Boerne, TX

Re: 4511 extension wing levelling.

I don't think you did anything wrong. Any loose set screw I just snugged up until it just touches the granite, without causing it to actually push the granite (I did this after I had the extensions all secured and fence installed). I don't think these little set screws are meant to support the granite, just to hold it in alignment until you tighten the main attachment nuts. I found that the beefy front rail support does a nice job of adding additional support to the granite wings. To a much lesser degree, the rear rail as well.

I just bought a dial gauge and associated kit (A-Line-It Basic kit, currently on sale at Woodcraft) to align my blade with the miter slots and also the fence. I found that the sides of the miter slots are quite scratchy on the bar that aligns within the slot. I tried sanding the sides of the slot with a thin stick and 400 then 600 grit sandpaper. Then washed the dust away. This helped a bit. I probably should start with courser sandpaper to smooth them well, but I'm hesitant to cause any widening of these slots. I think I'll try waxing them next.

Dave

Comment

I am assembling an R4511 and have the right extension wing on. I have a sag of approx. 1/16 inch sag on the outer edge from the main table. I have already put 2 layers of masking tape below the threaded studs to try and correct. Is it okay to build it up further to get it to level?

The leveling screws on the support bar are already tightened where they would raise the seam above the main table if I tightened them any more.

Comment

For the screws that are just touching, I put finger nail polish on them to hold them in place. Once it sets up, good as thread locker and easier to remove.

Comment

Originally posted by Cato View Post
          I am assembling an R4511 and have the right extension wing on. I have a sag of approx. 1/16 inch sag on the outer edge from the main table. I have already put 2 layers of masking tape below the threaded studs to try and correct. Is it okay to build it up further to get it to level?

The leveling screws on the support bar are already tightened where they would raise the seam above the main table if I tightened them any more.
          Hi Cato,

I found that the inner leveling screw (the one closest to the main table) tends to control the alignment at the table joint, while the outer leveling screw tends to control the amount of sag at the outer edge of the extension.

Are you able to get everything perfectly aligned prior to tightening the nuts on the threaded studs? Then when you tighten the nuts at the joint, things go out of alignment with your described sag? If this is the case, then yes you could shim the joint some more. Make sure there is no rough spot at the joint above the threaded studs that is keeping it from pulling closed all the way. You might want to run some sandpaper (backed by a block of wood) over this region to make sure it is clear, then wipe it down with a wet rag to remove any residue. Do both the extension and main table side of the joint. Good luck.

Dave

Comment

Dave,
            Thanks for the tip, I'll have to pull it back apart tonight and check for rough spots. Didn't really notice any last night. Tightening the threaded rods however did not throw anything out of whack.
            Being tired from assembly I may have missed something so maybe a fresh set of eyes on it will be helpful.

Comment

First time I set my saw up, I stumbled across that fix for levelling the wings. (First raising the outside above level. After then bringing the inside up to level and snugging hand tight, dropping the outer screw so that it was level.) I had to take the top off to file out some holes so that I could get the miter slot parallel to the blade. When I set it back up, the wings drooped @ 1/16, but I didn't remember how I levelled them the first time. I will try this method and report if it works. My concern is if it leaves the top touching and an everwidening gap in the joint between top and wing, as you move lower. The gap would be a very steep triangle.

Comment

I got my extension wings levelled using the raise the outer levelling screws and leave the inner ones loose method. This is what is going on, at least with my R4511. One of the support ribs wasn't flat, but dropped 1/16" from end to end. The fix is to tighten the outer support screw, but the amount it can raise the wing is limited by the fact that the slot in the bottom of the wing wraps under the support bar. (That includes lifiting the slab so it is level with the surface of the table. However, if the inner levelling screw is loose, the bar still has a over 1/16 of play in it at the point that the support bar slides into the table. If the inner levelling scew is tight, you lose much of that play. After the each wing is levelled, I tighten the inner screw to the point where it raises the inside edge of the wing to the level of the joint with the surface of the table. Sorry I can't explain this better, but if you are having a problem levelling your wings, I hope this helps you figure out what is going on and the cure.

Comment

This is probably not a good explanation but when I couldn't get one of my wings to stop rocking I kept playing with all 4 adjustment screws on that one wing until I finally worked it out. It helps to remember that all the screws on one wing are interdependent and you'll have to adjust all of them sometimes to get the problem worked out on any one corner-not just the screw at that corner.

Comment

The easiest way that I found is: 1- Finger tighten the studs nuts. 2- Clamp a piece of 4x4 hardwood to the surface of the table top and wings (one at a time). 3- Snug the set screws to the wings.

Comment

Working...
                    X