X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R4511 and Herc-U-Lift question

Well, here I am with another question that probably has a really simple answer.

I've got the saw up and running, the riving knife is set pretty good, the fence is square, everything works great. EXCEPT for two things that I'm pretty sure are related:
    1. The front wheels on the herc-u-lift won't clear the floor when I set the saw down. In order to have all four feet hit the floor, I had to screw the front feet WAY out. Everything looks like it's put together right, the thing lifts the saw just fine, it just won't set it all the way down. FYI, the rear wheels clear the floor by about a half inch or so.
    2. When it's up on the wheels, the front ones don't want to swivel. This makes it a booger bear to move, unless you want to move it in the direction that they're already pointing, ha ha.

Does anybody have any ideas?

Thanks.
    De Colores,
    Dow
    Boerne, TX

Re: R4511 and Herc-U-Lift question

Hi dow,

My Herc-U-Lift works like a charm with my leveling feet screwed in all the way. I can only suspect that something is bent or not aligned correctly on yours. I've included some pictures of what mine looks like in the up and down positions. Does yours look the same? If you could post similar views of your base, it might give us something more to go on.

Dave
    Attached Files

Comment

Thanks Dave! That fixed it. I had the rear crossmember for the front pair of wheels on the TOP of the runners instead of on the bottom. That'll teach me to look at pictures upside down, lol.
      De Colores,
      Dow
      Boerne, TX

Comment

Wow Dave, your pedal is really high. I'm assuming you left the 4 bolts that were supposed to move "freely" really loose?

Comment

Originally posted by Josh Gerber View Post
          Wow Dave, your pedal is really high. I'm assuming you left the 4 bolts that were supposed to move "freely" really loose?
          Yes I did. I just threaded the Nylock nuts onto the bolts by the full thickness of the nut. The tip of the bolt just comes out the other side of the nut.

I find my Herc-U-Lift to work amazingly well, easily raising and lowering. Looking at how simple the mechanism is, I know I would never have thought of that design on my own. Ingenious.

Dave

Comment

That's about how high the pedal on mine is, too.
            De Colores,
            Dow
            Boerne, TX

Comment

Originally posted by dow View Post
              That's about how high the pedal on mine is, too.
              I should loosen my nuts then, because mine is only a few inches. And my feet are all the way out. I'm working on putting my second saw together. No I didn't get 2, the first was broken. HD dropped it off yesterday.

Comment

I also couldn't get my pedal to be that high, but then I discovered making the feet screw in all the way solved everything!

Comment

I had my Herc-U-Lift set up 'perfectly', but it did not hook.

What I noticed is that the very front bar with the hook (with the 4 nuts) was ever so slightly vertically off center. Not my fault -- the holes were not perfectly center. So I removed the bar, flipped it 180 degrees and it worked perfect. The difference was about 1/16th of an inch to get the latch to catch on to the hook.

Comment

Yeah I figured it out the hard way to get my Herc-U-Lift to work properly....

I don't like leaving screws loose if they don't to be. The instructions said to screw the Nylock Nuts on so I screwed them on... all the way. I couldn't ever get my saw to move... the pedal would barely move when disengaged.

Then I was scanning through some posts on here when someone mentioned leaving the nuts VERY loose on the bolts. I was then able to screw the feet all the way up and now it works PERFECT!

Brandon
                    I bleed RIDGID orange...

Comment

Originally posted by bvdon123 View Post
                      I had my Herc-U-Lift set up 'perfectly', but it did not hook.

What I noticed is that the very front bar with the hook (with the 4 nuts) was ever so slightly vertically off center. Not my fault -- the holes were not perfectly center. So I removed the bar, flipped it 180 degrees and it worked perfect. The difference was about 1/16th of an inch to get the latch to catch on to the hook.
                      That did it for me too. I was having the same problem of the hook not latching properly. I was ready to bend the U bolt then I read your post. Thanks for posting the tip.

Comment

I am utterly amazed at the poor quality manuals. Thanks to all of you who have gone before you have save me much agony. In fact, I see I have missed a couple more things again and will have to go back before final assembly. But here is another "gotcha" contribution....

The installation instructions for the U-shape that connects to the Herc-U-lift top and bottom are incorrect. The instructions clearly say to tighten the inside nuts all the way down the shafts, put the U-shape into the rail, and then put the other nuts on, tightening in the process. FAIL.

The Herc-U-lift will not connect if you tighten the first set of nuts completely down the shafts and then put the other nuts just as tight - there is not enough room for the clip and release to work if you do so. The thread is cut too far down the shafts of the U-shape.

You MUST leave at least 1.5 inches or more otherwise top and bottom will not clip together. I assembled by trial and error.

Dave

Comment

Working...
                        X