X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MDF Staining Hands

Not exactly a woodworking question, but sort of related. I've been building a new workbench, with an MDF top. I suddenly find my hands showing brown stains. Could it be the MDF? I understand it has formaldehyde in it. The only thing I did out of the ordinary before the stains appeared was to lean against the top for awhile, as I read a magazine article. A short while later I noticed the stains.

Re: MDF Staining Hands

Maybe you got some Chinese made MDF similar to the Sheetrock that they dumped on us a couple years ago with all the sulfur in it.

Was it hot and humid that day? Maybe perspiration from your hand dissolved some the colorant in the MDF and transfered it to your hand causing the stain.
    ---------------
    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
    ---------------
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    ---------
    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
    ---------
    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
      Maybe you got some Chinese made MDF similar to the Sheetrock that they dumped on us a couple years ago with all the sulfur in it.

Was it hot and humid that day? Maybe perspiration from your hand dissolved some the colorant in the MDF and transfered it to your hand causing the stain.
      I purchased all the MDF at Home Depot last week. I did all the cutting and lamination then, as well. It didn't do it last week, so I'm now thinking that the MDF is not at fault. I have been working on the bench all morning, with no further occurance of the staining problem. Perhaps I got something else on my hands before I touched the MDF, and just don't recall doing so. Lets call this one a mystery, and let it go.

Comment

Smeared ink from the magazine?

Comment

Have you been playing with the Gorilla Glue again?
          Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

see if it smells like chocolate.

Comment

Working...
            X