X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello and a question

Hi. My name is Chris, this is my first post, and I'm a recovering BT3100 user.

I sold it this past weekend after four years of faithful service. In a very unlikely year for bonuses -- especially in the retail business -- I managed to get one, and decided to spend some of it on an R4511. I never would have thought that the first piece of granite in my house would be in the basement, much less on a tablesaw.

I had it all set up, at least I thought I did, until I checked the blade-to-miter-slot parallelism. It's about 1/32" out.

So I loosened the 4 hex bolts that secured the table to the cabinet and started shifting the table. Spent about an hour last night to no avail. I tried tightening one bolt at a time and pivoting on it -- didn't help. I completely removed one bolt, finally got the miter slot to line up but, of course, the threaded insert shifted out of alignment with the bolt hole.

Anyway, I'm just curious if any of the R4511 owners here had the same problem and could offer some advice.

Thanks in advance and I'm looking forward to being an active member here.

Chris

Re: Hello and a question

Chris,

I can't answer your question (I only have a BT3100 ), but I do want to welcome you to the Ridgid forum. I've been a member for a few years now and it's a great place with lots of very hellpful members. I hope you enjoy your participation here as much as I have.

Welcome,

CWS

Comment

Thanks, C-dub!

Comment

Chris,

Try leaving one bolt on the table top tight with the other 3 just barely loose. This will give you a "pivot point" for the table and makes it easier to get it aligned to the blade. When you get it aligned, then sneak up on getting the bolts tightened (go from one to another and tighten a little at a time)

Tom

Comment

Hey Tom, that's exactly what I did for a good half of that unsuccessful hour the other night. I'll try again tonight.

Comment

Can you tell if any of the bolts are hitting the holes in the cabinet?

I was able to quickly fix my miter slot parallelism last night. Combo square against the blade and hooked into the miter slot let me determine which way the table needed to shift. Loosened all 4 bolts and shifted the table in the right direction on the back side, then on the front side to match.

If your threaded inserts are throwing the adjustment off, can you tell if your bolts are hitting the holes in the cabinet as you start to tighten them? Wonder if you might need to make the holes just a tad larger. Or the threaded inserts arent installed into the main table correctly, which could only be remedied by a new table would be my guess. OR the miter slot isnt straight in the main table top (but if that were the case I wouldnt think youd ever be able to get it to match up, even without the bolts installed).

-Chris

Comment

Chris,

It's not so much that the bolt is hitting the cabinet hole when I tighten as the threaded insert is so out of alignment that I couldn't even put the bolt in.

I measured each miter slot against the blade opening and all three are parallel. Based on my attempts, I'm afraid one of the threaded inserts is off and so I may have to enlarge one of the cabinet holes. I already broke out the Dremel last night but decided to give it a few more tries.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks,
              Chris

Comment

Before doing any carving on the saw, you might take a look at adjusting the trunnion itself...that is realigning it in the cabinet closer to where it needs to be.

I would suspect movement of the trunnion in the cabinet during shipping before suspecting that the holes in the granite are off (as those holes are either drilled by a CNC machine or are drilled using a jig...either of which makes the odds of the hole being off slim..not impossible...but slim)

Tom

Comment

Tom, thanks for that suggestion. At this point, I'm still very much in denial that something is wrong with it, so the Dremel may be ready, but I'm not!

Comment

Tom, adjusting the trunnion did the trick. Thanks again!

Comment

Glad to hear that you were able to get it aligned!

Comment

Working...
                      X