Used TS2424

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Used TS2424

Was in Home Depot today...they have a used TS2424 with full factory warranty for $450....the top appears tro have quite a bit of surface rust...is this a good deal or should I but a brand new one out of the box?....
    Goldenwing

Depends on if the previous owner did damage or had problems, other than being neglectful---surface rust, in and of itself, is pretty easy to fix, as long as you don't see signs of severe pitting.

Still, you should check it out completely. I believe the Rigid Lifetime Warranty doesn't cover abuse---so make sure you get it in writing, from HD, that they will assure any damaged parts were or will be replaced free.

Also, you might see if you can wangle them into ordering any missing accessories, such as dado insert, etc. currently available---it's worth a try.

I'd completely inspect the cast iron top for any cracks (particularly around bolt holes)---check flatness. Check that the motor appears clean---lift mechinism works, etc.

Otherwise, could be a good deal. Others might have suggested items to check.
    Dave

Comment

"I believe the Rigid Lifetime Warranty doesn't cover abuse"

From the FAQs:
      RIDGID® covers its products with a LIFETIME WARRANTY against defects in material or workmanship.

Dave

Comment

OK---Dave---did I say defects?---no, I said abuse, which is a pretty standard warranty exclusion---if you drop the miter gauge or fence, um'teen times, don't think that's defects Only reason I brought it up was that the top was rusted---if HD took it back with a rusted top---what else might be wrong---maybe nothing, but worth a check.
        Dave

Comment

If there is only rust on the saw I would say go for it. If something is broken I would wait and get a new saw out of the box. Just my $.02 cents worth.
          Andy B.

Comment

I realize no one will offer a warranty against abuse...thats why I asked the salesman about it...not knowing what the previous owner did to it makes me like your idea daveferg of getting it in writing from Home Depot...perhaps I bring it home, clean it up, and it runs like a charm, or maybe I fire it up and there is so much banging it sounds like a car crushing yard...I saw the fence and the dado insert and the miter gauge on the tabletop and it has the herculift system...tomorrow I will go in and look it over very very closely....maybe I have found a diamond in the rough....thanks guys for your input
            Goldenwing

Comment

Good Lord! I was AGREEING with you...

Dave

Comment

Fire it up and run a few cutr at HD expence if all loks good go for it , otherwise getit in writing that you wil take it home and check it out and if you do not like what ever get a NEW ONE IN THE BOX..Check to see that it is a factorey seal not an in store reseal.. You chould be saving a few $ and that is good. IF ALL IS GOOD. My 2412 was put together and "they" broke off the bolt that hold the motor bracket, I bought it and fixed it in a matter of minutes and saved over $100.00 dollars and I am NOT sorry . dd

Comment

Working...
                X