Miter Saw Upgrade

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miter Saw Upgrade

I am thinking about upgrading my miter saw. I have a 10" hitachi slide now. Anybody have insights as to what I should look for these days in a new saw, either a new 10" slide or bigger 12"?

Thank you, in advance.

Re: Miter Saw Upgrade

Both the 10" and 12" Makita sliders seem to get consistently good reviews.
    ================================================== ====
    ~~Don't worry about old age; it doesn't last that long.

Comment

Lots of saws out there. I don't know enough to advise on SCMS's. But just as an FYI there's the Festool Kapex. The big difference between the Kapex and everything else is that it costs over twice as much as it's nearest rival. $1300. You'd be the first and probably only kid on the block to have one. Your're probably already put off by the price but go ahead and Google Kapex and check it out.

Comment

I recently did the opposite of you. I had a Dewalt (model 708) 12" SCMS. The monster was just to big for my 11X20 shop. If you have a larger shop I would recommend the new Dewalt or as BD says Makita, however if you received any of the bail-out-money definitely go with the Kapex.

Comment

It really depends on your needs. Are you trucking the thing from one job to another or is it sitting in your shop. I recently upgraded to the Rigid 12" slider because I like the big base - it's not going anywhere. A lot of them are designed with small bases to cut weight down. 10 v 12, what's the biggest board you're going to cut with it?

Comment

Bosch 4410L. Quality, functionally well designed, great capacity. Yummy!

Comment

I'm wondering about a new one too, and am curious about the Festool for it's (supposedly) much better dust collection. My current Craftsman saw is mounted on my workbench, and I'm tired of it spraying sawdust all over the pegboard, tools, and everything else within 15'.

Comment

I picked up the Ridgid 12" slider last year in the ultimate power deal or whatever they called it then. It's been a good saw, although I haven't used it as much as I thought I would. If you put it on the MSUV stand, you can fold it up and park it against the wall, where it's out of the way. It's also avery good way to haul it somewhere. That saw is pretty heavy by itself. The MSUV makes a big difference.

OH, and you've got til the end of the day to get in on the UPD for this year on that saw. The discount is something to consider if you're watching your pennies.
                De Colores,
                Dow
                Boerne, TX

Comment

Ive only got a Hitachi 12" compound miter saw.
                  I use it on the job mounted on a Ryobi stand.
                  saw dust EVERYWHERE is my biggest complaint also.

Comment

Working...
                  X