X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shutdown Shudder

A couple of people have mentioned their 4511's shudder when shutting down, I get that also. Iv'e spent some time making sure the pulley's are lined-up and tight. Iv'e also tried different blades and dado's, made sure that the feet were adjusted to be nice and steady on the floor, but still get the same amount of shudder on shut-down. Is there any 4511 owners out there that are NOT experiencing this?

millman

Re: Shutdown Shudder

Every piece of equipment I own with a motor does this. Delta bandsaw and jointer, Ridgid 4511 (and my Ridgid 3660 before it).

Right before the shudder I hear a click in the motor area, almost like a relay kicking on or off. Ive always just assumed its some sort of a brake to slow the motor down, and this gives the shudder that you feel. Im pretty sure Ive removed the belt completely and tried it, and get the same click and slight shudder.

Oddly enough, my 4511 shows the least "shudder" but Im guessing its because of the added granite weight and more direct belt path.

Comment

Mine shows variable shudder when I turn it off. Sometimes it is pronounced and sometimes non-existent. I always thought that the windings in the motor produced unbalanced magnetic pull once you turn off the current, thereby causing the instability of the rotor. The clicking sound you hear at shutdown is the centrifugal switch being pulled back by the springs. (see split-phase induction motor).

Dave

Comment

Mind does this, but I just thought it had something to do with the wood floor in my shop. It's nice to know that my floor is still good, lol.
        De Colores,
        Dow
        Boerne, TX

Comment

Mine too. It's a little disappointing because the nickel falls over on spin down about half the time. I checked everything. The belt is lined up, arbor run out is almost unmeasurable. I tell you what, it's good to know that others have the same thing. It's so brief that I can't imagine it would be a problem.

All things considered I'd rather have the shudder. My old Craftsman takes about three weeks to spin down.

Comment

Mine too has a little bit of shutdown shutter, but after reading this posting during the week, I tried the nickel test on it for grins because like a previous posting compared to my craftsman TS it is really nothing. Two out of three times the nickel remained standing, so no biggie.

Heck I was thrilled I could stand a nickel on edge.

When running, putting my hands on the table its hard to detect that the motor is running, now that is nice.

Comment

the harmonic shudder would have to be something "out of balance" correct? wonder if there may be a defect with a bearing/bushing in the motor? can everyone getting this look at the mfg date as well as the motor model numbers and compare.

dunno. just reaching...

Comment

Originally posted by onedkcharette View Post
                the harmonic shudder would have to be something "out of balance" correct? wonder if there may be a defect with a bearing/bushing in the motor? can everyone getting this look at the mfg date as well as the motor model numbers and compare.

dunno. just reaching...
                I suppose its possible, but the fact that I have 3 (and had a 4th at one time) motors that do the same thing leads me to believe either:

A) Im really REALLY unlucky

or B) its just a function of how the motors work or at least how they interact with our own electrical source.

Really small things bother me, but Ive been able to look past this one, so it cant be that bad

Comment

Originally posted by chrisexv6 View Post

or B) its just a function of how the motors work or at least how they interact with our own electrical source.
                  thay may be the key. depending on what surge of juice each may be getting from thier homes/shops when they flick the switch may be it. i think we assume it is a consistant current from each outlet.

Comment

Originally posted by onedkcharette View Post
                    thay may be the key. depending on what surge of juice each may be getting from thier homes/shops when they flick the switch may be it. i think we assume it is a consistant current from each outlet.
                    Might be an interesting poll subject.

I know in my case I have a dedicated 20AMP 110V circuit for my large power tools. With only the table saw running I get the "shudder" as its shutting down (I havent tried with other tools running).

The circuit itself is 12GA and probably only about 25' of wire between receptacle and circuit breaker.

Would be interesting to see if longer runs, thinner wire, or non-dedicated circuits effected the amount/severity of shudder.

Comment

Might be an interesting poll subject.

I know in my case I have a dedicated 20AMP 110V circuit for my large power tools. With only the table saw running I get the "shudder" as its shutting down (I havent tried with other tools running).

The circuit itself is 12GA and probably only about 25' of wire between receptacle and circuit breaker.

Would be interesting to see if longer runs, thinner wire, or non-dedicated circuits effected the amount/severity of shudder.
                      there you go... any electrical engineers in here that want to cramp your brain? (slide rule in your pocket a must)

Comment

Just so happens my dad is an EE here is what he has to say:

"Motors will tend to operate as a generator when they are slowing down
                        with no electricity applied. It is referred to as dynamic braking and is used on really big motors to help minimize the coasting a large mass will cause if attached to the motor.

You could be experiencing that.

If the table is bolted to the floor and the motor solidly mounted to the
                        table, the shudder should be minimized."

Not quite sure why SOME people see it and others dont, but it could also be something as simple as how the saw is sitting on their floors (I for one can guess the floor under mine isnt perfectly flat)

Could also be why someones Craftsman saw takes "3 weeks" to slow down

Comment

Simply shut off the saw by pulling the plug. Doing so takes the source wiring out of the equation.

----Mike

Comment

Just so happens my dad is an EE here is what he has to say:

"Motors will tend to operate as a generator when they are slowing down
                            with no electricity applied. It is referred to as dynamic braking and is used on really big motors to help minimize the coasting a large mass will cause if attached to the motor.

You could be experiencing that.

If the table is bolted to the floor and the motor solidly mounted to the
                            table, the shudder should be minimized."

Not quite sure why SOME people see it and others dont, but it could also be something as simple as how the saw is sitting on their floors (I for one can guess the floor under mine isnt perfectly flat)

Could also be why someones Craftsman saw takes "3 weeks" to slow down
                            thankfully mine does not shudder. i was reading the post and scratching my head... food for thought i guess.

thank your dad for the folks in here that may have the issue.

Comment

mine more than shutters. it seems more like it's possessed (of a demon or spirit, esp. an evil one).

DANGER, DANGER.. anything left on top can shudder into the blade while shutting down.

this saw is shuddering back to home depot.

are you listening Ridged. China no good for tool..

i feel ripped off. 600 bucks can't buy a good tool anymore?? you get what you pay for???

how many reps are on this forum pretending to be average joe consumers, raise your hands..
                              Last edited by woodruf; 08-11-2009, 10:50 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X