Time for a planer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time for a planer

I got my R4511 home and was in the process of assembling it when I realised that I have 2 left extension wings. I called my local HD and they are getting more in stock on Friday so that I can switch a left for a right. Now that I have a real TS again I have been thinking alot about getting a portable planer. In the past I have used hand planes and I find that for the most part that is all that I need. My wife has asked for new oak kitchen cabintes and I figured if I am going to be doing something on this scale, it is about time to step up from a hand plane.

I know that there are numerous choices. I do not want to spend major $$$ but I am looking for something reliable and that does a good job without too much snipe. I have narrowed it down to three models
    1-delta 12.5 from lowes for $240
    2-craftsman 12.5 from sears for $270
    3-Ridgid from HD for $299

I know most people recomend DEWALT but I do not want to spend that kind of money and I have bad experiences with the brand in the past. I know that they are a good company, they are just "not my cup of tea".

So what does everybody think?

I am sorry for not posting links to the products but I am typing this from my iphone and it is quite cumbersome to post links while on the road?

Re: Time for a planer

Personally, I've got a Dewalt, that I got reconditioned from Tyler Tool, but you've ruled that out.

I know nothing about the one from Sears.

I've got a good friend who has use a Delta for years with good results, although I'm not sure which model.

if you strike today or tomorrow, you can still get the tool deal on the Ridgid at HD. I think I'd get the Ridgid, but I might be a little bit biased... It is orange, after all.
    De Colores,
    Dow
    Boerne, TX

Comment

It is very simple. Just add the ridgid planer to your R4511 deal that you got to claim another 150$ off. Just go back to HD and tell them to do an exchange of your R4511 and add the planer. You got time till tomorrow.

Comment

I agree, if you can swing it, do the swap and get the Ridgid planer. Tehy let me do that for the router and some other stuff. Easy to do.

Comment

How much is the Ridgid planer?

You need to hit 1K for the saw+planer, and I dont think it works. Saw is 599, is the planer 399 in stores? It shows 369 on the web, so you are still 30.00 short. Granted spendign an extra 30.00 to get another 150 off is worth it jsut figured id bring it up.

I bought my DeWalt 734 planer a few months ago but havent even used it yet. Would have been nice to get the Ridgid 4511 and planer for 700, vs the 4511 and the dewalt for 720.

Comment

Originally posted by jeep_man View Post
            3-Ridgid from HD for $299
            I thought RIDIGD was $399 not $299.

Comment

The ridgid planer has a good recommendation from FWW.

Comment

Since I had such trouble with my R4511 the manager at my local HD said that he would give me $100 off on my planer. I do not think that he will let me make a combo purchase using the UPD.

Comment

Originally posted by jeep_man View Post
                  Since I had such trouble with my R4511 the manager at my local HD said that he would give me $100 off on my planer. I do not think that he will let me make a combo purchase using the UPD.
                  Tell him to take the 100 off *after* the UPD is applied.

Or just tell him to take the extra 150 off that you would have gotten if you combined the 2 purchases.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisexv6 View Post
                    How much is the Ridgid planer?

You need to hit 1K for the saw+planer, and I dont think it works. Saw is 599, is the planer 399 in stores? It shows 369 on the web, so you are still 30.00 short. Granted spendign an extra 30.00 to get another 150 off is worth it jsut figured id bring it up.

I bought my DeWalt 734 planer a few months ago but havent even used it yet. Would have been nice to get the Ridgid 4511 and planer for 700, vs the 4511 and the dewalt for 720.
                    though it's too late now, at $600 to $999 you get $150 off, $1000+ it was $300.

Comment

Working...
                    X