X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R4511 router extension ideas

I returned my 3660 for a 4511. Better saw, but not easier to add a router extension to, thats for sure.

My ideas are pretty basic at this point, but I was thinking:

Add a iron angle bracket from the front fence rail to the back fence rail. That will hold the back end of the extension. Drill extra holes in the front and rear fence rails at the far end of the extension, and then bolt into the side of the extension.

Sound about right?

And while we're at it.........the 3660 had 36" rip capacity, whereas the 4511 "only" has 30". The 4511 also has 2 piece fence rails..........since the fence rails are nothing but common metal (angle in the back, square tube up front), has anyone tried replacing the pieces with one piece of each? And you could even get longer pieces to extend each rail back into 3660 territory. I guess thats one place the T-type fence is better off: you can always make the rails as long as you wanted.

Re: R4511 router extension ideas

While Im at it, does anyone know the thickness of the front fence tube? I didnt check it before putting the fence together (didnt feel like disassembling it if I didnt have to).

All of the metals are easily available online (metalsdepot.com), and fairly inexpensive. I was figuring you just add 6" (for a total length of about 71" required) to the front tube to get to 36" rip capacity, then extend the front and rear fence holder out just as far so you can bolt a router extension to it.

Shipping cost isnt the greatest because of the length of the materials. Im trying to locate a local source that I can purchase everything from to save on shipping.

Comment

Chris, why don't you check around locally to see if you can find the angle and square tubing? It may cost a little bit more, but you'd save on shipping. Also, if you can find a fabricator that uses those sizes of steel, maybe they'll drill and counter sink the angle for you and drill and thread the tubing for you.

Just a thought.
      De Colores,
      Dow
      Boerne, TX

Comment

Yeah Im calling now (I have a supplier Ive used before, usually they just hand me the stuff and send me on my way)

As far as countersinking, I honestly couldnt tell why the bolts were countersunk to begin with........a normal hex bolt seems like it would clear the sliding fence without a problem. Otherwise I could probably countersink them myself, not sure if the metal co. I deal with will do it or not.

EDIT: I realize the countersinks are there so the fence will sit correctly if secured at the points of the bolts. I think Ill ask the metal co if they can do it for me.
        Last edited by chrisexv6; 05-06-2009, 10:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisexv6 View Post
          While Im at it, does anyone know the thickness of the front fence tube? I didnt check it before putting the fence together (didnt feel like disassembling it if I didnt have to).

All of the metals are easily available online (metalsdepot.com), and fairly inexpensive. I was figuring you just add 6" (for a total length of about 71" required) to the front tube to get to 36" rip capacity, then extend the front and rear fence holder out just as far so you can bolt a router extension to it.

Shipping cost isnt the greatest because of the length of the materials. Im trying to locate a local source that I can purchase everything from to save on shipping.
          i think home depot has some angle and square stock. (steel and alumininum <sp>) i know i have seen it in there before. sometimes a local ace hardware even carries some of that stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by onedkcharette View Post
            i think home depot has some angle and square stock. (steel and alumininum <sp>) i know i have seen it in there before. sometimes a local ace hardware even carries some of that stuff.
            Ive actually got a source for the square bar as cheap as possible (free!!)

Going to check HD/Lowes for the angles. Ive also had good luck with Sears Hardware having a lot of metal supplies, so Ill try there if the other two dont pan out. I think 6' (or maybe a little longer) is the optimum length, hopefully HD/Lowes/Sears have them in 8' lengths that I can cut down.

Talking to a steel company, the front rail holder angle bar seems to be an odd size (I thought I measured it at 2.5x2.5, they only carried 2x2 and 3x3....I will remeasure to be sure).

Comment

Originally posted by chrisexv6 View Post
              Ive actually got a source for the square bar as cheap as possible (free!!)

Going to check HD/Lowes for the angles. Ive also had good luck with Sears Hardware having a lot of metal supplies, so Ill try there if the other two dont pan out. I think 6' (or maybe a little longer) is the optimum length, hopefully HD/Lowes/Sears have them in 8' lengths that I can cut down.

Talking to a steel company, the front rail holder angle bar seems to be an odd size (I thought I measured it at 2.5x2.5, they only carried 2x2 and 3x3....I will remeasure to be sure).

i think you may be hard pressed to find them in 8' lengths at HD. have you checked a trailer supply place? they sometimes carry that stuff.

Comment

The front rail mount isn't actually a piece of angle iron. It is a piece formed on a press brake from flat stock (which is why it is an odd ball size)

Comment

chrisexv6...see post 173 in this thread:

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/sho...=21249&page=18
                  the poster increased his rip capacity to 38.5" by repositioning the existing rails. and there are other posts in that same thread that i believe discussed replacing the stock rail to increase the rip capacity beyond that of the 3650/60.
                  there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Originally posted by tomapple View Post
                    The front rail mount isn't actually a piece of angle iron. It is a piece formed on a press brake from flat stock (which is why it is an odd ball size)
                    Did not know that, thanks!

As for just moving the rails over, I thought about that too. Im at the point where I can at least make the front rail itself one piece. I wanted to *extend* the front rail holder itself so I could also use it to hold a router extension. The only question I have is if there will be too much weight on the right side of the saw........Im guessing not, but I suppose its possible.

As far as a new front rail holder, I *think* 2.5x2.5" will work.........it looks like they used a 2.25" lower leg so that the rail holder doesnt come out past the fence bar.

I wonder if I could get a metal shop to custom bend one for me........I talked to them yesterday and they never mentioned it.

Comment

Yes, anyone that does precison sheet metal or iron work should be able to fab a piece for you. Having just the piece formed up would be cheapest (versus having them also put holes it it...would proably double or triple the cost...if it was me I would opt to put the holes in myself)

Comment

Originally posted by tomapple View Post
                        Yes, anyone that does precison sheet metal or iron work should be able to fab a piece for you. Having just the piece formed up would be cheapest (versus having them also put holes it it...would proably double or triple the cost...if it was me I would opt to put the holes in myself)
                        Most of the places Ive called wont deal with small quantities, I only need 7'.

Will definitely put the holes in it myself........just need to find the correct countersink angle and diameter.

EDIT: $125.00 for a fabbed angle iron.

I can get an 8' length of 2.5"x2.5" for 40 bux shipped. It seems like it will fit (there is enough space under the rail now that an extra 1/4" on the lower leg shouldnt stick out past the rail)
                        Last edited by chrisexv6; 05-07-2009, 02:00 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X