X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plane stained wood

I have solid pine stained kitchen cabinet doors. They have some slight damage and a flute about 2" from the edge in the door. The flute is about 1/8" deep. I was going to plane the door faces to remove the damage and the flute. The place that has a planer I can use said they won't allow me to becasue the doors have stain on them. Why would this matter?

Re: Plane stained wood

My guess is the stain and finish will gum up the knives. It may also accelerate dulling of the blades. Ask them why it is not allowed. Can't hurt to ask, then you'll know for sure.
    ---------------
    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
    ---------------
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    ---------
    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
    ---------
    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
      My guess is the stain and finish will gum up the knives. It may also accelerate dulling of the blades. Ask them why it is not allowed. Can't hurt to ask, then you'll know for sure.
      I would imagine that the likelihood of finding embedded metals increases significantly with finished products that have a little age on them also. I know you can detect those, but they may not trust someone to do a good job of that on their equipment.

My suspicion is that your suggestions are right on.

Comment

Good point. I forgot about the possibility of running into fasteners (nails, staples, etc). They would certaintly do damage and I believe that that is the real answer.
        ---------------
        Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
        ---------------
        “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
        ---------
        "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
        ---------
        sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Working...
        X