Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4511 Riving Knife Question

In the mongo 4511 thread, Ashman said,
    All, a little more info on the SC riving knife. I originally thought that the shape was identical to the original Ridgid. Upon further investigation and trying to install it I found that by loosening the four hex head screws in the riving knife mount I could insert the knife that I had used the wire brush to remove paint. At that point I discovered that it did not drop down all the way and that the length of the tang going into the mount was approx 1/4 inch shorter than the original. I corrected that on my bench grinder and a little touch up with a file. I now works great. Photos to come soon.
    Has anybody else done this? If so, how did it work? Do you have any pictures?

Thanks.
    De Colores,
    Dow
    Boerne, TX

Re: 4511 Riving Knife Question

Just get yourself a piece of aluminum sheet the appropriate thickness for your saw kerf (I used .090" thick sheet), trace the profile of your splitter that came with the saw onto the aluminum, and cut it out using a bandsaw if you have one or a jig saw. Just cut the overall height so that it is just about 1/8" below the height of your 10" blade and file the leading edge to have a slight wedge shape to it and you'll be good to go.

millman

Comment

Just a bit of info.
      Heard from Woodcraft this morning and was told the SC knives I tried to order are out of stock at SC and no back-order shipping date was available. Damnit!

Big G

Comment

Well, Rats. I guess I'll just have to make one, then. I was hoping to avoid that, as I really don't like cutting metal, but there you go.

I'll have to look around and locate some .090 aluminum.

Thanks, guys.
        De Colores,
        Dow
        Boerne, TX

Comment

You might also look here for detailed instructions from PurpLev. He made one and is quite happy with his. I haven't done this yet, as life has gotten in the way of shop time!

Comment

Originally posted by JDenney View Post
            You might also look here for detailed instructions from PurpLev. He made one and is quite happy with his. I haven't done this yet, as life has gotten in the way of shop time!
            Thanks for the link. I'd read so much stuff, along with MY life getting in the way, that I'd completely forgotten about that.
            De Colores,
            Dow
            Boerne, TX

Comment

Working...
            X