X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• scrap wood = tenon jig

here is a little scrap wood project that i did over the weekend. kind of fun to build and works great.
    the biggest piece of wood on it was maybe 9"x9". only thing it cost me was 10.00 for the lever clamp and and 2.00 for the knobs.
    i try not to throw anything away unless its sawdust. wood is too damn expensive.

sorry for the goofy angles. i wanted to capture as much as i could as to not throw too many pics in here.

Re: scrap wood = tenon jig

Nice job, that is one thing that is on my "To make list". Things are too dang handy, not to have one.

Comment

Cool jig and nice job.

Red
      Red

Comment

Homemade jigs are both fun to make and practical. Nicely done.
        Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
          Homemade jigs are both fun to make and practical. Nicely done.
          thanks Badger...

i like to think im done with making the nessasary jigs etc. (yeah right) to start building stuff. i was going to make a cross cut sled but with my incra 2000 i dont know yet if i need it. its dead on every time so i dunno. i take that back. a simple taper jig is next. thats an easy one though. my wife doesnt understand that there are many pieces to the puzzle before anything can get pushed out. i guess ill see what she wants 1st.

Comment

Originally posted by onedkcharette View Post
            thanks Badger...

i like to think im done with making the nessasary jigs etc. (yeah right) to start building stuff. i was going to make a cross cut sled but with my incra 2000 i dont know yet if i need it. its dead on every time so i dunno. i take that back. a simple taper jig is next. thats an easy one though. my wife doesnt understand that there are many pieces to the puzzle before anything can get pushed out. i guess ill see what she wants 1st.
            As a subscriber to Shopnotes and a couple of other magazines, I've come to the conclusion that you could spend the rest of your life just making new, cool, accurate jigs, and never get around to actually building anything else.

You should definitely see what SWMBO wants first. That way, if she wants something that needs tapered legs, then you can build the jig as a necessary part of the process.

That's my plan, anyway. (right after I build a crosscut sled, and maybe a miter sled, and oh yeah, a tenon jig like yours, and oh yeah, I reeeeeaaaaallllyyy need a jig to rip really thin pieces of wood, and maybe one of those . . .)
            De Colores,
            Dow
            Boerne, TX

Comment

Originally posted by dow View Post
              As a subscriber to Shopnotes and a couple of other magazines, I've come to the conclusion that you could spend the rest of your life just making new, cool, accurate jigs, and never get around to actually building anything else.
              so true. i love shop notes. patiently waiting for the new issue.

Comment

I was planning on building something similar but I like yours better. How hard was it to square the jig to the blade? No matter haw accurate the cuts for the pieces were made. I'm sure you had to do some tweaking to square it up. One other question - what is the purpose of the silvery insert in picture 4 where the adjusting knob exits the oak (middle right of the pic)? It seems unnecessary.

Comment

Thanks for the pics. I need to build one also and will use your pics for the sample. Great job....Pat

Comment

Originally posted by Hacksaw123 View Post
                    I was planning on building something similar but I like yours better. How hard was it to square the jig to the blade? No matter haw accurate the cuts for the pieces were made. I'm sure you had to do some tweaking to square it up. One other question - what is the purpose of the silvery insert in picture 4 where the adjusting knob exits the oak (middle right of the pic)? It seems unnecessary.
                    It allows for more fine adjustment and also holds the jig in position while tightening the other knob.

That would be my guess anyway.

Comment

That jig is far better than the one I made. Nice job.

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by rofl View Post
                        It allows for more fine adjustment and also holds the jig in position while tightening the other knob.

That would be my guess anyway.
                        you are correct. the original design did not use it and you had the open/close the distance by hand. this way here you can the turn the knob and it will fine tune the depth of your cut and as mentioned it will also hold the position until you lock it down. to answer a previous question above "how did i line it up to the blade"? that was the easy part. i just laid my miter bar in the slot with double sided tape, extended the jig all the way out and slowly lowered it flush against the blade (fully raised) onto the miter bar. lifted everything out and screwed it in. that way i know i will never cut into the jig. i already had the miter bar predrilled and tapered before adding the jig. if you would like different pics or angles let me know.

if i could change anything on it??? dunno. i have used it a little and thought it worked good. the cuts are accurate for tenons and it seems like it will last.

Comment

Working...
                        X