It's all been said:

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi all,
    After lurking for a month or so, I thought I should join up, as this is one of the more useful forums I've seen. I've read the HD bashing and basically have agreed that their customer service is rather weak. However, seeing that Emerson used to sell to Sears, I have doubts that the support of their products has fallen off in the switching of outlets. When I visited Sears prior to the purchase of my 2424, I found the display there to be every bit as bad, if not worse than HD. The same with my local Delta big box store, Fleet Farm. Things were so bad, that as a novice I turned to the internet forums for "real" info. So, the question becomes: Was Sears that great for Emerson before the switch? I know it was probably higher volume for them, but I have yet to find a Sears salesman who had a clue!
    \"Is it Friday yet?\"

Comment

OlCrookedcut; I like your nickname! Welcome to the forum.

Woodslayer

Comment

I live in a small community about 15 min. from a future HD. I hope that this is going to give everyone an opportunity in my area a chance to see Ridgid tools and the quality they represent. I know the problems with HD, but I am going to be able to shop closer to home and not drive an hour to see a good selection of woodworking tools. I hope the people that are going to be employed there realize what a plus it is to have a friendly face and a willingness to help the customer. It would'nt hurt if they made it mandatory for each tool crib employee be a member of this Ridgid forum and read what the customers really need in a home improvement store.

Comment

Woodwkr02,
          You will be overwhelmed with smiling faces and eager accossiates willing to assit you any way,they will practiclly grab you by the hand and lead you through the store in a gingerly hop.
          This will please you and make your visits extremely pleasant,you will look forward to your next shopping trip to HD.
          As the time passes and new faces become old and the employees start to wear down and become sick and tired of the same ol routine,this store you so gladly enjoyed shopping will soon fall into the legendary HD Blackhole,your visits will be few and you'll go only when needed.
          This is the way of the Depot.
          DepotDave

Comment

DepotDave, sorry, only my first paragraph referred to your post. The others were a general comment on all others, and also a general question regarding service. So far, no real answers from anyone as to their requirement of after-sales-service.

Your response to WoodWkr02 defines in a nutshell the present condition of HD. Bloody sad isn't it!!

Since you work there, are there any corporate feedback methods that are available to you, or the general public? It would be good to forward to HD management direct, these posts, rather than setting up a rants board, which may only be seen by Ridge Tool staff.

David

Comment

I wonder if we could find the eMail address for teh HD employee in charge of Ridgid sales? That would probably much more effective...

Comment

This whole HD situation is a simple example of business practice 101. If you want the best product for the cheapest price then something has to give. Take the case of the burger chains. They are hurting because of increased competition and price wars. Is their service as good as when they first started up? Not a chance.
                It would be possible to have qualified and knowledgeable customer service reps at HD but this would result in a price increase accross the board (pardon the pun). Would you be willing to pay more for the Rigid products to get more knowledgeable staff? Of course if HD charged 10% more for their products but offered 100% more trained and qualified staff would you still shop there or would you go down the road to the store offering similar products at 10% less? Human nature would dictate the latter.

Comment

I think you mean really poor business practice 101. BP 101 shows you how to become successful, these examples show you how eventually you may end up in Chapter 11.

Concentrating on the back end of the business... cost cutting, and doing nothing to correct sales, leads to an inevitable downward spiral.

There is absolutely zero effort of any kind, put into marketing of Ridgid by HD or for that matter Ridge Tools. If it wasn't for a handful of loyal Ridgid users, there would be even fewer boxes making their way down from on high. It seems that almost every purchase by this group has been a saga by users determined to overcome the obstacles put in their way by HD. Eventually those boxes may fail to be moved from their top-of-the-rack perches, when that occurs...

David

Comment

If HD were actually had the lowest prices in town, the arguement might hold up, but they don't! I usually have a long list of tools I need, but am willing to wait for the best price. In the last year, I've actually bought more tools at a local chain store---Yard Birds, than at HD----always save 10-20% over HD prices, AND Yardbirds' tool crib employees actually know a few things!!! In fact, during a recent renovention project, I ended up buying most of my materials at Yard Birds due to price or that they carried materials HD didn't. We did buy some Bruce hardwood flooring at HD--mainly due to a 20% off promotion and no payments/interest for 18 months. But, even then, we went to one HD where the person at the order desk was unwilling or unable to answer questions----at the other store, they'd hired someone who had worked at a local flooring store and he was the reason HD got the sale.
                    Dave

Comment

This is getting pretty heated... We all know that HD employees may or may not be the best, but they're trying to make a living, and unless we're willing to quit our jobs and go make their salary there's nothing to complain about. As far as representation of displays, products whatever, that's a management problem, and look at your local HD for a suggestion box, and every trip in drop the same note until it's fixed. I love HD, but they don't always get my buisness. I don't ever ask for help unless it's getting sheet goods cut or something off the shelf, sometimes I wait others I don't. I'm almost to the point with lumber dept. they'll just about let me use the panel saw.

Comment

Thanks for the welcome Woodslayer! Your moniker is one of the reasons I picked a fun one myself. Seriously, the first time I used my 2424, I realized rather quickly that a well set up saw is a joy to use. People who talk up direct drive saws as being as good as a belt driven... Well, lets say, I beg to differ! I still smile every time I hit the power switch.
                        \"Is it Friday yet?\"

Comment

Well.....

As of today HD profit was down 5% and Lowes was up 46%. As I said before, I'm not praising Lowes, but HD seems to have dropped the ball. I guess cutting service and expertise, among other things, isn't having the effect they hoped for.

I imagine their stockholders are beginning to ask some pointed questions.

That said, I still shop there, but less than I used to.

Comment

Working...
                          X