4511 impressions after 4 months use!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4511 impressions after 4 months use!

Now that I’ve owned the 4511 for 4 months and done numerous projects with it, I would like to share some impressions. First off the saw is definitely well built and nice to look at. I absolutely LOVE having a riving knife and the additional safety it offers. Raising, lowering, and tilting the blade is almost effortless compared to many saws I’ve used. The fence, which I have modified by adding a longer single tube front rail and back angle iron, works very well once you have it dialed-in. The stock miter gauge leaves a lot to be desired as far as functionality and accuracy. The miter gauge also scratches the heck out of the granite. I purchased an Incra V27 and can’t believe the difference in smoothness and accuracy, a definite “must-have” in my opinion. Speaking of scratches, I’m a little disappointed with how easy the granite scratches. Even being very careful with what and how I’m cutting, I’m still finding more and more scratches each time I use it. I have not chipped it yet and I also removed the T-slot bracket on the end of the miter gauge just to eliminate the possibility of chipping out the miter slots. The miter slots in the table also needed a little bit of sanding to eliminate area’s that would cause the miter gauge to drag. I have my saw plugged into a dedicated 120V-20A outlet and feel there is plenty of power. I do experience some shudder when I shut off the saw, but it doesn’t seem like it should cause any issues. Herc-u-lift works great, very easy to move the saw around. I like the blade insert design with the 3 hold down screws, it makes it very easy to fab out your own zero clearance inserts and it holds them down very securely. With a high quality blade and everything adjusted properly this saw cuts flawlessly. I have a lot of years of professional experience using table saws and when I make a cut on this saw I have total confidence that the piece I’m cutting will be nice and square. Dust collection performance really depends on the type of dust collection system you have. I’m satisfied with how my system works with this saw. So those are my impressions/opinion of the 4511 after 4 months of use. I’m happy with my saw and would recommend it to anyone with a home workshop looking for a well built saw with high accuracy, good dust collection capabilities, excellent features (i.e. riving knife), excellent value @ $599, and is a show-piece when cleaned up and polished!

Regards, millman

Re: 4511 impressions after 4 months use!

I like mine alot too. I'm new to having a real table saw. I see others say that it doesn't have a true riving knife. Did you buy one, make one or do you consider the piece that comes with it to be a riving knife?

Comment

I made my own from aluminum sheet, just trace the profile of the splitter onto the aluminum and cut it out with a bandsaw or jigsaw. I used .090" thick sheet which matched up well with the kerf of the blade I use. Just cut the height of the knife to be about 1/8" lower than the height of the blade.

millman

Comment

Millman.

My experience has been very positive too. I could not be more satisfied for the money spent. My scratches seem to go away with a waxing? However I too have heard so many good reports regarding the Incra V-27 I am going to purchase one.

Buck

Comment

Millman - It sounds like the shudder you described could be caused by a fairly common motor phenomenon called regeneration. It's caused by an interaction from the motor capacitors at shut down. I've read of some folks curing this problem by strapping a small value capacitor across the leads of the motor caps, but I couldn't tell you the range of values that would be effective. It's likely not worth messing with but is treatable if you wanted.

Thanks for posting your observations with the saw.

Comment

Pretty sure that your miter gage head that is made of aluminum is NOT scratching the granite table top....making marks in your wax film on the table top perhaps, but it is not scratching the granite.

Comment

Originally posted by tomapple View Post
              Pretty sure that your miter gage head that is made of aluminum is NOT scratching the granite table top....making marks in your wax film on the table top perhaps, but it is not scratching the granite.
              Yeah...I would agree with this. I work in a tool and die shop and we have several granite surface plates that see use with hardened tool steel, day after day....and they are not scratching.

Comment

Iv'e definately got full length scratches along the lefthand miter slot (have not used the miter gauge in the righthand slot yet) all confined within the width of the miter gauge. I have cut a bunch of plastic laminated (formica) parts using the miter gauge so maybe some formica crumbs got dragged underneath the miter gauge. The scratches didn't come out with wax and you can feel them with thumbnail. But it's not a big deal and I still think the granite top is a great idea. The Incra V27 is just so much smoother with zero play once you adjust it. It also rides on a plastic base.

millman

Comment

Working...
                X