X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIDGID® Oscillating Sander #EB4424

I am considering the RIDGID Oscillating Sander #EB4424 for fine tuning my wife’s crafts. I was wondering how the 1/2" to 2" drums work with up to 2" thick material? I like to cut relatively close with my band saw and such and would like to use this sander to finish the rest of the material removal up to my layout lines. Will this sander remove material aggressively or is it for finer work. I currently use my drill press and a 2" drum sander but don't have enough depth for what I am doing. I am currently trying to clean up some deer antlers cut from 2”x6” material. The ½” drum seams to be what I am looking for tight radiuses and the belt attachment will allow mw to shape the body of my components. If you own this unit please give me some feedback. I welcome any and all comments… [img]smile.gif[/img]
    Regards,<br /><br />Big Johnson<br /><br />Pictures: <a href=\"http://www.woodworkersweb.com/modules.php?set_albumName=albuv85&op=modload&name= gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.woodworkersweb.com/modules.php?set_albumName=albuv85&op=modload&name= gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php</a>

Do not have the Ridgid, have the Delta and I am very happy withit, the 1/2" spindle is very good. the Ridgid was my 2nd choice but if I ahd to do it over I would go RIDGID. belt and tilt table.. GO RIDGID !!! [img]smile.gif[/img] [img]smile.gif[/img] [img]smile.gif[/img] [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

I have the EB4424. It is a good OSS and the belt sander is very handy. In fact, I use the belt sander instead of a 12" disk sander (I'll probably spring for a 12" or 20" disk in the future, though).

The spindles are available in 60 to 150 grit at HD.

Comment

I have the Ridgid sander, and find it to be excellent. It is just the ticket for cleaning up after the bandsaw. The oscillating belt is a real bonus feature. I highly recommend this tool.

MikeN

Comment

I have been using the oss for a couple of months now and have not been disappointed. I have been making a few rocking horses and have been sanding 2x's of pine regularly and it does a great job of quick take down. I love the ability to change from spindle to belt on one machine. I don't think you will be disappointed either if you make the purchase.

Comment

Thanks for all the info guy's... I think I will venture down to Home Depot in a couple of weeks and show my better half our next investment... Thanks zapj for the info on taking down 2x's... that is my main goal. I may make a few of the rocker horses too in the near future. First I got to get the deer planters done and half a dozen other things...
            Regards,<br /><br />Big Johnson<br /><br />Pictures: <a href=\"http://www.woodworkersweb.com/modules.php?set_albumName=albuv85&op=modload&name= gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.woodworkersweb.com/modules.php?set_albumName=albuv85&op=modload&name= gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php</a>

Comment

Hey Big,
              I too have the Ridgid OS and have found it to be one of the best additions to the shop. As far as take down, it all depends on grit and as mentioned various grits are available.
              Only one weird note...my drums (the rubber part) must have been made on an off day as they were undersized for the sleeves which came with the unit. It was especially noticable on the 2" drum. It required several layers of tape between the drum and sleeve to get a snug fit. In talking with Jake and the Customer Service folks it appears this is a freak thing as they have never heard of this before.
              Ridgid happily replaced my sleeves and they are much better although the 2" is a bit finicky. More kudos to the FANTASTIC support at Emerson Tool Co. Thanks Jake and Co.!
              Overall I love it. I use it mostly to clean up curves off the Band Saw and it works awesome. Just remember to leave the witness line on the workpiece as you cut with the Band Saw so you can clean it up perfectly with the sander!

Enjoy!
              - Tim

Comment

I just bought the OSS 3 days ago. Its really
                been enjoyable to work with. I really recommend it.

Comment

Thanks again guys for the additional information. I do appreciate the input. I take it all in... We have to drive about 100 miles to our closest Home Depot. I hope to get there in the next couple of weeks... I wish Ridgid could mail order... I would pay the freight over driving to the big city...
                  Thanks again guy's... [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

I have the Ridgid Oscillating Sander, and I have used it many times, both as a belt, and as a spindle sander. I like it quite well as a spindle sander, but I have a problem with it as a belt sander. Now, I may be using it wrong, but I wanted to use it to true up the ends of wood. I cut some table legs, and used the belt sander to true them up to my layout line. The problem? When I got it to the layout line, which I viewed from the top, the bottom edge of the leg was cut in too far. It appears that the belt does not run at a true 90 degree angle to the table. I have continued to use it as a clean up sander, as long as I hold the wood off the table and "eyeball" it to my layout lines. Am I using this tool wrong, or is this a common problem with this sander?

Comment

Briank, try adjusting the tilt table square to the belt. The factory ship alignment is not always correct. I was in such a hurry to use mine that I experienced the same problem. A little tweaking solved the problem.

Comment

As Zap said the there is an adjustment to square the table to the belt face. On each end of the table, right at the pivot point, there is a small set screw, that can be used to square up the table. Once you have the set screws set correctly, adjust the table tilt index on the right end of the table.

Jake

Comment

Wow... I am surprised this post is still getting around... Since it is still here I will say that I just drove to Lincoln, NE today to get the sander... I have it still in the truck since I want to clean the shop first, but will have it up and running Friday May 31. I also bought the Ridgid stand and a few extra sanding disks while I was there... I am excited to give it a whirl... This is my second Ridgid purchase... I have a few more to go... I will let you all know my thought once I have set it up and played with it a bit... This looks to be an awesome tool. Thanks for all your advice on this subject…

Comment

I just bought mine on Saturday. I also bought the Ridgid stand to set it up on. I just ran it for the first time today to square the table to the belt and to adjust the tracking. It's running nice and square now, and the belt tracking looks good. It was getting a bit late tonight, so I'll put some wood to it tomorrow.

Pete
                            \"Last year we couldn\'t win at home.<BR>This year we can\'t win on the road.<BR>My failure as a coach is that I <BR>can\'t think of anyplace else to play.\"<BR> - Coach Harry Neale, Canucks

Comment

Brian glad to see someone else has this problem, I've been waiting a long time to see this crop up. Take a good hard look I think you'll find that the spindle sander is out as well. Zap & Jake I have checked and re-checked my tilt table to the belt more than once. As I have only used this tool maybe a dozen times since I bought it two years ago I just seem to forget that the problem is still there. One time I went so far as to remove the bottom and if I had to guess I would say that the motor is not square to the table, I tried to adjust it by working the mounting bolts but it did not seem to help. So now the question is... "Is anyone still paying attention to this thread?"
                              Dave
                              It\'s not the quantity or quality of your tools that matters....<br />It\'s all in the firewood that\'s left over.....

Comment

Working...
                              X