warped cast iron top?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• warped cast iron top?

My brother recently finished construction of his new house. He sold his old house and has had most of his tools in storage for the past 11 months. While he has been checking regularly on his items, his old craftsman table saw with a cast iron top now has a huge bow in it. I am assuming it is from moisture/heat? I have never personally seen anything like this. When he told me about it I did not beleive it. I personally have owned an old unisaw and never had a problem. I am really grateful now that I own the 4511 since this will not be a problem for me. I am trying to convince him to get a new table saw-4511, but he wants to keep his.

My question is where can he get a replacement top? I know one might be available from sears, but seeing that this saw is 30+ years old, I kind of dought it. His top is 1 5/8 thick and is about 28x40".

Should he make one out of wood and put formica on it? I know that he does not use his TS as much as I do and he does not want to spend a lot of money on this. Does anybody have any suggestions?

Re: warped cast iron top?

Originally posted by jeep_man View Post
    My brother recently finished construction of his new house. He sold his old house and has had most of his tools in storage for the past 11 months. While he has been checking regularly on his items, his old craftsman table saw with a cast iron top now has a huge bow in it. I am assuming it is from moisture/heat? I have never personally seen anything like this. When he told me about it I did not beleive it. I personally have owned an old unisaw and never had a problem. I am really grateful now that I own the 4511 since this will not be a problem for me. I am trying to convince him to get a new table saw-4511, but he wants to keep his.

My question is where can he get a replacement top? I know one might be available from sears, but seeing that this saw is 30+ years old, I kind of dought it. His top is 1 5/8 thick and is about 28x40".

Should he make one out of wood and put formica on it? I know that he does not use his TS as much as I do and he does not want to spend a lot of money on this. Does anybody have any suggestions?
    check craigs list and see if there is someone selling the same model. maybe the table tops were interchangable back then?? he might find one really cheap. if anything he will have extra parts.

Comment

Working...
    X