X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Do I need to oil my air tools?

Did they give any indication as to when the change was made? All my PC nailers and staplers (5 total) were bought over a period of a couple years, some just last year. I will have to look at each manual and see which are which. I thought all of mine needed oil, but I better check. Best thing for me to do will be to put a label on each type, OIL or NO OIL so I don't forget.
    ---------------
    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
    ---------------
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    ---------
    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
    ---------
    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

As I stated earlier, it's always best to read your manual. The technologies change rapidly with both materials and assembly practices. I know that many of us go by past experiences and carry out maintenance/use procedures that may or may not be applicable to some of today's tools. The manual should keep us on target.

(That's what the "technical writer" in me says anyway! )

CWS

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
        Did they give any indication as to when the change was made? All my PC nailers and staplers (5 total) were bought over a period of a couple years, some just last year. I will have to look at each manual and see which are which. I thought all of mine needed oil, but I better check. Best thing for me to do will be to put a label on each type, OIL or NO OIL so I don't forget.
        Bob......I didn't ask when the change was made and he didn't volunteer. We advised all our men about those nailers and put several-NO OIL- warnings on the nailers with permanent markers in BIG letters for the memory challenged of which I am the leader.
        Good luck...Ray
        Last edited by roadrashray; 05-12-2009, 01:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
          Oh yeah, I'm not saying is it best practice for a nail gun, but that is what was done back then by some (probably many) automotive shops. Now these were automotive impact wrenches, pneumatic hammers, drills, etc. from CP, MAC, Snap-On, and others, not brad nailers and the like.

The vanes in the air motors didn't seem to mind. And the air tool oil that came with the tool looked like ATF, if you put a drop of each side by side you couldn't tell the difference.
          could be that automotive type tools we made for this seeing as how it would be redily avalable

Comment

Originally posted by roadrashray View Post
            I talked with Porter Cable technical service this AM regarding the "oil less" nailers we recently purchased. I was told the following........
            1-The technology they use no longer requires oil and they state that longer wear and decreased problems result if oil is not used daily in the nailers.
            2-If an owner experiances a failure and returns a oil less nailer for service, evidence of oil found in the nailer will nullify the warranty.
            I asked him what the design engineering rationale was regarding the prohibition of oil use in these nailers. He stated he didn't know. I have sent an email to Porter Cable technical service asking that same question.
            Stay tuned.....Ray

Well when the first oiless senco guns came on the market late 80's early 90's they would jam up alot once you oiled them they would work fine go figure.

Today im sure the tech has improved alot almost every bostitch finish nailer is oiless now im not sure about the framers though my framer is a few years old and still uses oil.

Comment

Originally posted by Arthur96 View Post
              heh how did the seals hold up with the ATF? i remember for a long time gun makers were under fire because of failures. it was like the cost of using them was that they didn't last long until they figured out that the oils used were eating the seals then they came out with gun oil for them that wouldn't eat the seals.
              Your right. ATF does not harm seals. Automatic transmissions are full of em. BTW, ATF also cleans fuel injectors for both Diesel and Gas engines. It has a lot of detergent in it.

Buck

Comment

some of the new air tools do not require oil. i have a porter cable set that i got from hd last year that does use oil, but i noticed the new kit they have now does not. if it requires oil it probably would have come with a small bottle in the kit. i would check to manual to be sure. it might be possible that adding oil could damage the air tool if it is not designed for it. as an auto tech, i use air tools all day long and i usually oil my tools about once a week and never had a problem. some tools require non detergent engine oil for lubrication. again, i would consult the manual.

Comment

Because of the newer technology in lubricants, it is not needed to oil or lubricate just about any gun on the market. I've rebuilt many a gun, Bostich, Paslode, PC, Campbell Hausfeld, you name it I've probably had one opened up. Most of the rebuild kits include a tube of special grease to grease the seals. Oil just really gums of the works. Even Bostich 1/2" floor staplers don't need oiling and they've been around forever. On most framing and finish guns the main seal is on top of the cylinder and the first thing in air path. It's usually a synthetic material and oil will just make it lose it's seal faster. The pistons don't have a seal usually, they are greased and that maintains the seal. Even on a large framer the volume of air is only the size of a couple of "D" batteries if that. You'd be surprised to how little there is in one. In a Bostich pin nailer, a brad gun, the piston is the size of a "C" battery and the parts to rebuild it cost about $10.00. When I was doing rebuilds I'd charge $75.00 + parts, an easy $100 on a 45 minute job to rebuild a floor stapler and they are the most complicated air gun out there. Parts cost me $ 15.00 and sold them for $30.00.

Comment

Working...
                  X