X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UHMW Fence question

Can UHMW be worked the same as wood? Routed, cut like any other wood product.

Re: UHMW Fence question

pretty much.

Comment

Here is a list of tips for cutting, planing etc.:

http://groups.google.com/group/uhmwtips

Comment

Yep.

I should add that I just made sides for my fence out of 3/4" UHMW and got them installed last night. Sorry, I didn't take pictures, but what I did was:
        1. rip two pieces 3" wide by 35" long (the scrap piece that I was able to get was that length already)
        2. decide which is the top and which is the bottom edge and mark the bottom (sharpie works fine and nobody will ever see it)
        3. clamp the two slabs ON THE SAME SIDE of the fence, flush with the bottom of the fence.
        4. use a 1/4" bit to drill through the mounting holes in the fence and the two slabs
        5. take them to your drill press and use a 3/4" Forstner bit to drill the pockets for the bolt head and nuts to go (you'll have to mess with the depth a little. It's deeper than you'd think)
        6. put it all together, using 1/4" bolrs, 3-1/2" long, flat washers and lock nuts.

I haven't routed them for T-track yet, but that's on the list in the near future.

Tom: That's a great source of useful info. Thanks. I've bookmarked it.

Hope this helps.
        Last edited by dow; 05-12-2009, 12:10 AM. Reason: To hopefully add something of value to an otherwise useless post. :D
        De Colores,
        Dow
        Boerne, TX

Comment

Great link provided there. I going to try and do mine today.

Dow, I assume you just used the 3 factory holes?

Comment

Another question: wouldnt you want to drill the holes in the UHMW so that the pieces are flush *with the table top* instead of the bottom of the factory fence? I figure the gap between factory fence and table top could be pretty annoying, and can be fixed by new fence faces.

Comment

You don't want your fence to sit right on top of the table (as it will be prone to get sawdust underneath it which would throw it out of square with the table when you lock it down). I set the fence faces on my saws 1/32 above the table top.

Comment

Ahh, OK.

Would you also want to shim the faces so that they are wider at the back of the blade than the front? I think that helps with safety (Ive tried a lot to get the fence itself to lock down that way, but I cant seem to get it to be wider at the back of the blade than the front........even with turning both allen screws to set "unequal" clamping)

Comment

sure you could shim it if that's what you want to do.

I wouldn't shim unless it was to even out some problem with the fence myself.

Comment

Surely you want the fence faces absolutely parallel with the blade across its entire length? If there is movement allowed at the back of the fence, the blade will act as a pivot and cause the wood to tend to move left at the front as the cut progresses (assuming the fence is on the right of the blade).

Even if it doesn't cause kickback or binding, I would thing it would give you an imperfect cut.

Comment

Originally posted by Southwood View Post
                      Great link provided there. I going to try and do mine today.

Dow, I assume you just used the 3 factory holes?
                      Yep. Someone, I think it was Ashman? drilled two more holes, but I don't think it's necessary. I see no bowing of the pieces.

As for the poster who asked about having the fence "wider at the back" do you mean that you want to have the fence slightly skewed so that there's more clearance at the back of the blade than at the front? If so, then you adjust that with the two allen screws on the T part of the fence.
                      De Colores,
                      Dow
                      Boerne, TX

Comment

Well got it completed. Really easy. Used just the 3 orgional holes that where provided. Made it 3/4 longer each end and 3'" tall. Moved the tapes by heating with an old blow dryer I keep in the shop, for just such emergencys.

Comment

Originally posted by dow View Post
                          Yep.

I should add that I just made sides for my fence out of 3/4" UHMW and got them installed last night. Sorry, I didn't take pictures, but what I did was:
                          You think you could post pictures of both sides of the fence. That would be real helpful. Thanks. I am going to order UHMW from peachtree this week. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by indianrider View Post
                            You think you could post pictures of both sides of the fence. That would be real helpful. Thanks. I am going to order UHMW from peachtree this week. Thanks.
                            Sure. I'll try to take some tonight.
                            Last edited by dow; 05-13-2009, 09:30 AM. Reason: kozz i kant spale gude
                            De Colores,
                            Dow
                            Boerne, TX

Comment

I thought I read somewhere that a slight amount of toe-out of the fence (i.e. its further out from the back of the blade than the front) provides a small amount of extra safety........since the wood is cut to the correct dimension at the front of the blade, any toe out after it would help keep the material free from binding back on the blade. At least thats my understanding.

And as for adjusting it, Ive tried to get a little toe out, but once I have some, the set screws are so far in its hard to slide the fence. if I back them out to be able to slide it again, I lose the toe out.....and I also want the screws in more to prevent "slop" when sliding (when the fence is so loose on the track that it gets stuck between the front rail and the front rail bracket).

Comment

Working...
                              X