X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R4511 Router Table & Fence

Today I completed the router table extension for my R4511, and added some new faces to the stock fence.

I replaced the stock rails with some new one piece steel tubes that made mounting the router table possible since you cannot drill into the granite. It's nice having the extra work surface as well and the 40" cut capacity to the right.

When I finished the router table I made a quick zero clearance insert out of some extra mdf I hade laying around. I'm gonna make a few more for my dado blade and other blades as well.

Overall, these upgrades have improved on what is already a fantastic saw.
    Attached Files

Re: R4511 Router Table & Fence

Looks good. Would you take a picture of the underside of the router table?
    Thanks

Comment

Nice job! I have the materials just about ready to do this to mine.

Question - whats the finished size of the router extension? Im debating exactly what size I want. Also weighing size vs weight (i.e. will the saw end up "right heavy" if the extension is too large/heavy)

Also, did you upgrade the rear rail? I bought a single piece of angle for the rear rail, but I got it in the stock thickness (1/8").....someone here mentioned it is probably necessary to upgrade to 3/16" thick if adding a router extension. Did you upgrade the thickness?

Thanks.

-Chris

Comment

Very Nice!

Comment

Question - whats the finished size of the router extension? Im debating exactly what size I want. Also weighing size vs weight (i.e. will the saw end up "right heavy" if the extension is too large/heavy)

Also, did you upgrade the rear rail? I bought a single piece of angle for the rear rail, but I got it in the stock thickness (1/8").....someone here mentioned it is probably necessary to upgrade to 3/16" thick if adding a router extension. Did you upgrade the thickness?
          The finished size of the router extension is 27" x 30". It runs just about up to the end of the 6' front tube. Making it run to the end of the tube did not add that much weight, and it nice to have extra surface area to work on. I don't feel the saw being right heavy after this at all. There is so much weight centered around the core of the saw with the granite that this extension in my opinion does little to affect it.

I did upgrade the real rail as well. When I was at the steel yard I tested out the 1/8" steel and it didn't flex at all, so I went with that as opposed to the thicker 3/16".

Comment

Thanks for the info.

In my version I extend the front rail holder (the angle)........that was the single most expensive piece of material because I didnt have it. now that I see your version, I could have done away with it altogether. Oh well, live and learn!

Hopefully the extra 2.5x2.5 angle iron hanging off the granite wont cause a problem. Im thinking not, Im only adding 24" of it....allmetalsinc.com has the weight listed as 3 lbs/ft, so Im only adding 6 lbs......pretty sure the granite can handle that.

Comment

Ive made both my front and rear rails. Now Im looking at which way is best to mount my LS positioner.

Im in a dilemma.......my original intention was to mount it hanging off the right side, to maximize room on the router table. But now I realize that I will never be able to stand "in front" of the router table. Is this a bad thing?

The only other option is to mount it with the rear of the positioner towards the blade, and the only way that will work is if I make sure the blade is lowered and the gaurd is removed. Not necessarily a bad thing, just maybe a pain to setup during use.

I could swear I saw someone with a router extension and LS positioner on it, but cant find pics right now.

Comment

Great looking add on.

I added the router wing to an older craftsman contractor saw several years ago but the stand can't take the weight. It is totally right heavy.

What did you make the table out of? Looks like MDF?

Comment

Originally posted by Marshall Goode View Post
                  Great looking add on.

I added the router wing to an older craftsman contractor saw several years ago but the stand can't take the weight. It is totally right heavy.

What did you make the table out of? Looks like MDF?
                  The table is made out of a plywood sub structure and the top is 1/4" hardboard over 1" mdf. I like using hardboard b/c it's cheap and it's really slick so the boards just slide across it.

I don't feel the saw is right heavy at all. The saw weighs so much to begin with that the router table does little to effect it.

Comment

Any tips on painting the longer fences and rails?

I was thinking of something smooth and durable, like a spray epoxy for appliances (RustOleum, Krylon, etc). If its smooth enough, I dont have to avoid painting where the fence slides.

Comment

If you can find a shop that does powder coating or an auto body shop, those finishes tend to hold up better than spray can paints.

Comment

Where did you get the fence tubing? I was also thinking of extending the rails.
                        Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by azwoodwker View Post
                          Where did you get the fence tubing? I was also thinking of extending the rails.
                          I got the rails at a place called Discount Steel. They have a physical location here in Minnesota with the best prices on any kind of steel I could find. I think they're online at www.discountsteel.com. Equally good prices, but the shipping can be quite pricey.

Comment

Thanks I will look into it. I was orignally from WI but now live in the heat of AZ

Comment

For the love of all that is good in the world, show us how you attached it. We need pics.

The only reason I haven't bought this tablesaw is because I didn't believe I could attach a router table wing. I have one on my TS3660 and will only consider a new table saw that lets me do the same..

Here's mine..

Comment

Working...
                              X