Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shuffleboard Table

Anyone built a shuffleboard table?

I've found a number of sites with tables for sale, and a few with info from people who have built their own. Just wondering if anyone here has built one.

I'm have been thinking it would be a fun project in the future. We plan to finish off a portion of our basement and putting in a 16 or 18' shuffleboard table along one wall would be a nice addition I think. The build for me is at least a year away, so I am just starting to gather information and ideas.

I'm thinking of a plywood and/or MDF base with maple strips making up the playing surface laid on top of the base. The MDF would add mass and give it a solid feel. And some carpet to line sides of the trough that collects the pucks and excess wax would help keep the noise down. The outside or cabinet I would probably do in oak in an Arts & Craft style.

The pucks and other pieces are available readily online from a number of sources so that is not a problem.

A used manufactured table is a possibility but getting it downstairs would be tough with a quarter-turn stair being the only access, unless it would fit through a basement window. I would complete final assembly in the basement if I build me own table.
    "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
    John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Re: Shuffleboard Table

Bob-

Try This site. Will help you to put the finish on the table - gives you a few different people who finished a table- some made by scratch

Shuffleboard
    http://www.shuffleboardrefinishing.com/

Comment

I have a friend who made a workbench for his shop from an old shuffleboard table that he refinished and put legs under. It's the classiest workbench that I ever heard of. Practical, too. He rescued it from a pile of stuff headed for the landfill.

Blind Bill

Comment

Originally posted by Shuffleboard View Post
        Bob-

Try This site. Will help you to put the finish on the table - gives you a few different people who finished a table- some made by scratch

Shuffleboard
        http://www.shuffleboardrefinishing.com/
        Thanks. That should prove informative for finishing the table top, I'll give it a look.
        "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
        John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Bob, I am curious to know if this project ever came to fruition? I have been looking for some ideas myself and after some research and reading have some ideas. I was thinking to use some type of flooring for the playing surface.

I was just wondering if you ever got around to doing this project and how it came out if so.
          Still enjoying all 10 fingers!

Comment

Working...
          X