X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zero Clearance Throat Plate

Is there any place I can buy a zero clearance Throat Plate for the 4511? I checked out several wood working stores on-line but the measurements are too small as far as the length. I know that I could make my own but I prefer to buy it if I can. What has everyone else done in regards to a zero clearance throat plate for this table saw?

Re: Zero Clearance Throat Plate

I think some of the Steel City plates will fit. Surfing woodcrafts website I think I saw one Steel City that looked like the shape of the 4511 plate (notice the shape is pretty unique, not an elongated oval like most, more like a rectangle with rounded corners)

I saw an excellent idea on another forum: create a throat plate out of a stable/durable material like corian, then make a dovetailed slot down the center. Create hardwood inserts that fit into the dovetail slot for all of your angles, then you can just swap out the inserts when you need to change. Saves the work of having to create multiple ZCIs for angles, dado, etc. and it looks like a pretty elegant solution.

Comment

Originally posted by Saw Dust Maker View Post
      Is there any place I can buy a zero clearance Throat Plate for the 4511? I checked out several wood working stores on-line but the measurements are too small as far as the length. I know that I could make my own but I prefer to buy it if I can. What has everyone else done in regards to a zero clearance throat plate for this table saw?
      I just made my own out of balbkt birch, and shimmed the bottom with tape to raise it up to flush. It's the first iteration, and there will be more, but it works darn good, and only took a little while to build. One thing to keep in mind is that since the plate is split all the way to the back, you'd probably be better off with drilling the holes for all three mounting screws, at least that's what i did.

Another thing I did was to replace the slotted screws with allen screws. I picked up some 3/4" stainless ones at HD. I THINK that they're 8 x 32 thread, but they may be 10 x 32. Take one with you to compare when you go get them.

Originally posted by chrisexv6
      I saw an excellent idea on another forum: create a throat plate out of a stable/durable material like corian, then make a dovetailed slot down the center. Create hardwood inserts that fit into the dovetail slot for all of your angles, then you can just swap out the inserts when you need to change. Saves the work of having to create multiple ZCIs for angles, dado, etc. and it looks like a pretty elegant solution.
      That sounds like a great idea Chris. I picked up a largish piece of 1/2" PVC plate a couple of weeks back that I'm going to build my next ZCI out of. I might give this idea a try. Thanks!
      Last edited by dow; 05-18-2009, 10:40 AM.
      De Colores,
      Dow
      Boerne, TX

Comment

The throat plate screws arre M5 16 x.80. I took the plate with the 2 holes off and took it with me to the store. The head are a tad too big and tall. I chucked mine in the drill press and filed down. Works better than factory.

Comment

I got one last week from Woodcraft. Its made by Leecraft for the Steel City 35900 model riving knife saws. On sale for $23.00. It fits the 4511 perfectly and is the best after market insert I have ever purchased. And, considering I paid 54 bucks last month for a dado plate its a pretty good deal!

Big G

Comment

Originally posted by chrisexv6 View Post
            I have a set of plans for that, its a neat idea. It also includes how to add a hardboard splitter.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies. This has been very helpful.

Comment

Originally posted by Pez View Post
                I have a set of plans for that, its a neat idea. It also includes how to add a hardboard splitter.
                Mind sharing the plans?

I thought it was pretty simple, until i sat down and tried to figure out what I needed (material, tools and procedure wise). I havent made it yet, but would love to.........I figure it cant be THAT long of a project.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisexv6 View Post
                  Mind sharing the plans?
                  Sure, send me a PM with your email. Its a PDF file.

Comment

Originally posted by Big G View Post
                    I got one last week from Woodcraft. Its made by Leecraft for the Steel City 35900 model riving knife saws. On sale for $23.00. It fits the 4511 perfectly and is the best after market insert I have ever purchased. And, considering I paid 54 bucks last month for a dado plate its a pretty good deal!

Big G
                    I bought a steel city Dado plate from Woodcraft for 23$ just couple of weeks ago. It is a perfect fit. Why did u spend 54$? For which brand?

Comment

At the time I didn't know that Woodcraft carried the SC plate that fits the 4511. I found some info on the R4511 thread here about a tool company that carried the actual 4511 plate that looks just like the one that came with the saw and, being in a hurry as usual, I just hauled off and ordered one. Plus, I always enjoy paying extra for stuff if I can!

Big G

Comment

Originally posted by Big G View Post
                        At the time I didn't know that Woodcraft carried the SC plate that fits the 4511. I found some info on the R4511 thread here about a tool company that carried the actual 4511 plate that looks just like the one that came with the saw and, being in a hurry as usual, I just hauled off and ordered one. Plus, I always enjoy paying extra for stuff if I can!

Big G
                        Ah, poor you. Sorry, dude. I thought u bought some fancy platinum dado plate or something.

Enjoy woodworking

Comment

Originally posted by dow View Post
                          That sounds like a great idea Chris. I picked up a largish piece of 1/2" PVC plate a couple of weeks back that I'm going to build my next ZCI out of. I might give this idea a try. Thanks!
                          PVC plate? I've never hear of that - where do you get it?

Comment

I made my own ZCI from UHMW, I also designed a new mounting system so only one screw is reguired for mounting the Insert. The Insert has a 1/16 th slot 1/4" below the serface to hold the rear aligned and attached. I machine the inserts on my Router Table for a perfect fit.

The down side to this design is that the original plate will not fit without replacing the rear insert mount, so I have made inserts that work with all my blade settings and it works fine. Changing inserts is a snap.

See below.
                            Attached Files

Comment

I've just received two premium ZCIs from Leecraft. They are for the 3650 but I have a TS 2400. When I placed one in the throat it fitted nicely, except on the blade side, it was 1/16th above the table. The frame of the blade/motor housing is 7/16th below table height, instead of 1/2 inch as the throat insert supports are. This didn't matter with the factory insert because it is thinner than 1/2 inch. My question is which is better:
                              1 grind more off the frame (it has been ground down some at the factory). or
                              2 shave 1/16th off the ZCIs?

Comment

Working...
                              X