X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Riving knife for the R4511

What's the current word on low profile riving knifes for the R4511? Last I recall reading was that the ones being sold for the SC weren't available.

Re: Riving knife for the R4511

I called my not-so-local Woodcraft about 10 days ago and they said they ordered a set for me.

Will call them tomorrow for an update.........but they havent called me saying anything about their availability, so maybe they are finally available again.

Comment

Extension table Studs

Looks like I have bad threads in the front right table nut. I was able to easily screw the studs into all the other nut inserts but I could not start a stud in that one. I am not sure what to do at this point. I am going to go ahead and start aligning the left extension. I would think I could put the right extension sans the stud but I don't think I would be able to attach the wing properly.

I really don't want to go though the hassle of changing out the table top. I got the miter alignment down to .001". I am wondering if I maybe pick up a tap set and try to work out the threads with it or maybe go 1 size up.

Ed

Comment

Ive read of a few people that said they had to clean the threads out with a tap.

I was able to get my extension studs in pretty close to what the manual said, I think I was within 1/16" or so, without cleaning the threads. Since I didnt have teh correct size tap, I lived with it (the extensions still went on OK).

Looks like in your case the tap is the right thing to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Edwood View Post
          Extension table Studs

Looks like I have bad threads in the front right table nut. I was able to easily screw the studs into all the other nut inserts but I could not start a stud in that one. I am not sure what to do at this point. I am going to go ahead and start aligning the left extension. I would think I could put the right extension sans the stud but I don't think I would be able to attach the wing properly.

I really don't want to go though the hassle of changing out the table top. I got the miter alignment down to .001". I am wondering if I maybe pick up a tap set and try to work out the threads with it or maybe go 1 size up.

Ed
          Hijacker!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by chrisexv6 View Post
            I called my not-so-local Woodcraft about 10 days ago and they said they ordered a set for me.

Will call them tomorrow for an update.........but they havent called me saying anything about their availability, so maybe they are finally available again.

A set of the Steel City ones?

Also is the stock one suitable for thin kerfs? Based on my measurements it should be.

Anyone figure out how to remove the plastic guard off the riving knife?

Comment

Woodcraft called me yesterday and said the SC knives I've had on back order for two weeks were to be shipped today. When I see them I'll believe it..........

Big G

Comment

Smack,

This has been discussed a good bit in this thread. Specifically, you might be interested in the first post on page three (actually the last post in the thread as of the time of this post).

Search is your friend .
                De Colores,
                Dow
                Boerne, TX

Comment

I know of that thread, actually read it yesterday, again. Doesn't address the availability of the SC knives. And as for the Lee guy, I have a hard time having any faith in a guy that believes his Ryobi TS is a fine precision machine worthy of building a web page full of praise for it.

Comment

You might want to rethink your position. Whether Lee loves or respects a certain piece of equipment or not has no reflection at all on his ability to make something. I do know for a fact that he knows how to make a riving knife for the R4511. Well made, steel, powder coated, .090 thick., 32 bucks delivered.
                    Last edited by tomapple; 05-19-2009, 03:09 PM.

Comment

Lee Styron's riving knife is clearly getting thumbs up from people here. Is the riving knife also included as one of the part of the full Shark Guard? Has anyone here used the Shark Guard on the 4511 and have any experience to share?

Narfi

Comment

His site also says it's something like 12+ weeks to get one.

Comment

Ordered one last week and it was here in 4 days. I can't speak enough of how satisfied I am with it!

Comment

I stand corrected

Comment

I just ordered the thin kerf (.090) low profile riving knife from Lee Styron for $32 total (including shipping). It arrived today in my mailbox, 3 days after placing my order. I've attached some photos. It looks great! Exactly what Ridgid should have included with the saw. It fits just like the original and has a sturdy powder coated surface. It can be found HERE under the Tallest Splitter / Riving Knife section. Just select the one for the Ridgid 4511 Riving Knife.

Dave
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X