4511 Arbor Shaft Broke

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4511 Arbor Shaft Broke

My Arbor Shaft just broke on my saw. Only thing that broke was the very end. It came flying off, and went somewhere. Will try and get a picture here in a while.

Re: 4511 Arbor Shaft Broke

Originally posted by Southwood View Post
    My Arbor Shaft just broke on my saw. Only thing that broke was the very end. It came flying off, and went somewhere. Will try and get a picture here in a while.
    Wow, that's not good. What were you spinning at the time (what blade or a dado maybe)? Were you in the process of making a cut or was the saw just idling(spinning) when it happened?

I know the 4511 is new, but how many hours use do you think you have on this tool?
    "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
    John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Here is one picture, lets see if this works, before I try more

Comment

Ok here we go.

I was using the dado for the first time. Not enough room for the washer so I went without. Freud says it is OK. Srarted it up to check to make sure all ok, and heard a noise like something broke. Shut down and checked it out. This is what I found. Saw was bought 4-25 and might have 15 hrs on it.
        Last edited by Southwood; 05-21-2009, 08:01 PM.

Comment

Ok here we go.

So all that is left is enough thread to put on a single balde from your dado set and an arbor nut?

Where you making a cut when this happened?
          "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."

Comment

No Bob that is the whole dado, set to cut a 3/4" dado. All that broke was maybe 2 threads off. They just popped off.

Comment

Weird! I'm guessing that the shaft was damaged/weakened when the treads were cut. That must be an extremely rare occurrence.

Comment

No Bob that is the whole dado, set to cut a 3/4" dado. All that broke was maybe 2 threads off. They just popped off.
                Oh, OK, looking at the photo again I can see the other blade on there. That is even more strange. Have you talked to CS yet? I would be cautious about using the saw until then. Imagine what would have happened if it had broke on the other side of the blade next to the arbor flange?

Comment

Looks to me like the shaft was overly hardened (too hard), made it brittle.

You need to get that replaced.

Comment

Saw is going back, just don't know which store yet. Store I got it from won't have any in until after holiday and another store has 2 in the box. Of course it's 1 hour drive each way. Then I have to reassembly another saw. really not looking forward to that.

Comment

Saw is going back, just don't know which store yet. Store I got it from won't have any in until after holiday and another store has 2 in the box. Of course it's 1 hour drive each way. Then I have to reassembly another saw. really not looking forward to that.
                      You should call RIDGID or HD. There may be an easier way than getting a whole new saw (e.g. just swapping a part out). I think would certainly be covered by an LLSA, but that could be more hassle than a return. If you prearrange it, you might not have to repack a whole 300 lb saw, but possibly just exchange the main cabinet or the like.

Comment

I talked to Ridgid, I can not replace the part myself. Something about the part in question. The lady said there are a few parts that they will not let customers replace and of course this is one.

Thinking I will wait until the store I purchased from has more. The store that has 2 in crates, well they aren't real friendly, on the phone.

The only thing I will be out is the replacement tape measures I put on. Should go together easier next time, I have practice now.

Comment

I'd think they would be interested in getting it back for failure analysis. At least I would like to think so. There aren't many more crucial parts of the saw from a safety perspective than the rotating parts, and particularly when the part in question holds the sharp bit.

Comment

Yes, you would think if they understand the issue they would really want to get it back. Because if it failed due to improper heat treatment as I suspect...they have a bunch more just like it floating around (as they would not be heat treating parts one at a time)

Comment

can you pull the build date off it?

It would be something like 2 letters followed by 4 digits. The 4 digits seem to represent the build year and build week of the year.

Its located near your serial number, but its not the actual serial number which is 5 digits.

Comment

Working...
                              X