X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NEW WOODWORKER QUESTION

I'M A BEGINNER TO THIS HOBBY.I AM CONSIDERING A TS2424 AND THE "CONTROVERSIAL" RYOBI BT3000SX. THE PRICE DIFFERENCE IS ABOUT $170.CAN ANYONE OUT THERE SHARE SOME OBJECTIVE VIEWS BETWEEN THESE TWO UNITS FOR ME.THE EXTENT OF MY HOBBY WILL BE MAINLY SMALLER PROJECTS LIKE CEDAR CHESTS,VARIOUS BOXES,MAYBE A DRESSER OR TABLE,NOT A PRODUCTION SITUATION. THANK YOU KINDLY

Mickey:

Welcome to the discussion group. A few differences in these two saws. First and foremost the TS2424 is a cast iron table saw, while the BT3000 is die-cast aluminum. The table surface is significantly bigger with the TS2424 and the fence is much heavier. The BT3000 is a good saw and it has many supporters, but if you talk to many woodworkers you'll find that they will recommend a cast iron stationary unit over a smaller aluminum unit.

This is just a quick summary; there are many more differences in these two saws. If you have any more questions post them here or you can e-mail me at jacob.schnarre@emersontool.com

Jake

Comment

Mickey,
      Here is another discussion related to your question. Although they are discussing a different application. I just thought it would be helpfull as far as the discussion on what makes a good saw. http://www.ridgid.com/ubb/Forum6/HTML/000001.html Later, Josh

Comment

Mickey,

DO check out
        http://170.181.72.27/ryobi/Files/whybuybt3k.PDF

then check out
        http://www.ryobi.com/cgi-bin/dcforum...conf=DCConfID1

Lastly I suggest you contact the people who actually own the products, not store salesman or manufactururs and get an unbiased honest opinion. Also you did not mention but I strongly suggest you check out Grizzly products. Call them up and give them your zip code and they will provide you with a list of customers who own the product you are interested in. You can contact these folks and most do want to show off the new toy and will give you an honest opinion.
        This is what I did and have not regreted it. BTW I own some Ridgid products, I have the Ryobi BT3000 and own several Grizzly products.

Comment

Mickey, I'm probably to late, but, buy a cast iron from Rigid or Grizzly. The aluminum saws are to light and less accurate. Get the most out of your saws with precission self made jigs. Get some books on that topic. Rigid gives a lifetime warrantee but Grizzly costs a little less. What ever you make, make sure that your saw is completely tuned or everything will progressively get less accurate as you go. Good luck, Jim

Comment

If this is not to late. Go with the TS2424. I own the TS2424 and it's a great saw, It replaced the Ryobi BT3000 I use to own. The Extra $170.00 you'll spend is well worth it. The BT3000 is under powered. And the siding table can and does get out of alinement. Go with the RIDGID you wont be sorry.
            Regards Daniel Maloney

Comment

Working...
            X