Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I need a circular saw and advice on which one to get...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need a circular saw and advice on which one to get...

I am running into situations in which I need a circular saw. I don't want to buy just any saw, I want to get a good one that will last.

I have seen several that look like they would do the job, what are your thoughts and what has worked good for you?

Here are several that I am possibly looking at:

Ridgid 7 ¼", Worm Drive Circular Saw
    Bosch CS20 7 ¼" Circular Saw
    Porter Cable MAG423 Circular Saw
    Milwaukee 6390-21 Tilt-Lok 15 Amp 7-1/4-Inch Circular Saw

Thanks,
    Chris

Re: I need a circular saw and advice on which one to get...

I had researched circular saws prior to buying the R4511. For safety reasons, I really wanted a blade brake. The following all seem to be great saws:

Milwaukee 6394-21
    Makita 5007 MGA
    Porter Cable 325 MAG (423 MAG is left-bladed version)
    DeWalt DW364 and DW369CSK

I'm leaning toward the Porter Cable due to it's dust management abilities.

Here's an interesting review article.

Dave

Comment

I know this is a Ridgid board, and they make some good stuff.... but get one of the Skil 77 worm drives. I went through a bunch of circ saws, they all seemed to let the smoke out too easily. Then a friend pointed out that if you looked at what was on construction sites, it is usually a 77. He was right. Mine is now 20 years old, and still chuggin'. It's a little heavy. But you can't kill it. You might want to get the magnesium version, it's a bit lighter.

If you don't like the 77, get a Milwaukee. Never used a Milwaukee tool that wasn't an outstanding machine and built like a tank on steroids.

Good luck,

Andy
      Last edited by Andy_M; 05-22-2009, 06:44 PM.

Comment

Rather than the old faithful SKIL 77 series, I would look to their parent company Bosch. Bosch bought up SKIL some time back and their worm drive saws are very refined and also high quality.

The 1677M has a regular power cord and the 1677MD has a clever setup so you use it with an extension cord.
        http://www.boschtools.com/Products/T...aspx?catid=533

One thing comes to mind. Are you planning to really use this tool for a long time, or will it just get used now and then for light work?
        A worm drive circular saw is a workhorse. The Milwaukee Tilt-Lok series are nice and worth checking out.
        Last edited by Woussko; 05-22-2009, 05:55 PM.

Comment

On a job site, a few years ago, someone had a saw that raised the blade guard by means of a lever on top of the saw instead of by lifting it at its base. I never like making plunge cuts with my fingers close to the spining blade. I have no rememberance of what brand the saw was but if I buy another saw I would certainly search that out. It is an excellent safety feature.

Tom

Comment

Get a Porter Cable. Go to the local HD or where ever you can and look at the different models. Find the one you like, and go search eBay for one.

I have bought most of my hand tools on ebay, finding some gently used but in great shape tools for about half to three quarters what I would have paid retail for new. Got a PC circular saw, Bosch jig saw, several PC air nailers, Bosch combo router set, Dewalt recip. saw, the list goes on and on.

For example, my PC circular saw, paid $65 for it with case and extra blade. It looks like it was used no more than 2 or 3 times.

You gotta be patient and bid smartly, but they are there to be had.

Comment

Working...
            X