X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't get my 4430 to plane a board

I'm new to the forum. Last fall, I bought a refurbished 4330 planer to outfit my woodshop I built out of a tractor shed on my farm. I only recently finished the shop and set up my tools. This planer will not plane the first board. If it is set to barely skim the top of a board, it will feed. But when you turn it down to actually plane, it's incredibly loud, and simply won't pull the board through and cut it.

I bought this after I gave my old Delta 12" to my son. I was looking forward to using a better quality planer. But I have no idea how to fix this, and I have a rather urgent project to use it on.

The rollers are clean and functioning normally. I was going to replace the blades to see if there was a problem there, but they are, after all, brand new. I thought I would look for some folks who might be able to offer advice before I just start swinging a baseball bat at this thing.

What say ye, gentlemen? Is there anyone out there that can offer sound counsel for this vexation?

-Bruce
    Last edited by bmurch; 05-25-2009, 08:05 AM. Reason: add name

Re: Can't get my 4430 to plane a board

Did you try waxing the tables of the planer to make them slick?

Comment

If you push the board to assist the rollers does it plane the surface?
      If it is really loud that can be a sign of dull or incorrectly installed blades, check the blades.
      If it planes nicely with some pushing assistance the rollers may be glazed, clean them with alcohol and scotchbrite (planer unplugged). You can also use a rubber renewer if they are badly glazed

Comment

Hi, guys.

This is not an issue of a slick table or glazed rollers (I'm pretty sure). I could be wrong. I was once before. That was back in '66. It was a time when I thought I was wrong, but I was really right all along.

The blades were installed from the factory, so I assumed correct installation. It is very difficult to crack the set screws that hold the blades in. I have not wanted to try to loosen them all unless it was a reasonable possibility that the blades were the problem.

I pushed a board through with great difficulty, having to use so much force that the legs of the stand wanted to lift off the floor. Obviously, that was unacceptable, and I tried no further. It was a decent cut, but the racket it made was deafening, and it was clearly not cutting properly.

I will run some solvent on the rollers and wax the table, but methinks it is something far more grievous a problem than that.

Thanks,
        -Bruce

Comment

Isn't there something you have to unlock or have set before it will plane wood? Somebody on here before went through three machines thinking there was something wrong with them but it was him doing something wrong. He was having the same issue. Can't remember what it was though.

After looking back through the manual I found what his issue was but I don't think it is yours. If you don't have the dust hood on the cutter head lock engages and will burn the motor up. Obviously this is not your issue as the cutter head is turning.
          Last edited by Ray Dockrey; 05-26-2009, 08:04 AM.

Comment

I know this might sound silly, but do you have the dust port attachment on the unit? I know the first time I fired mine up, it made a horrible noise, wouldn't move anything and then I realized that it needs to be attached in order to work (there's a safety button it depresses when attached properly).

Comment

If it grabs the wood and feeds it the first 3" to the knives then either the knives are dull or in upside down. The other thing you can check is the high of the cutter compared to the height of the feed rolls. If you take a straight piece of wood and lower the head (unplugged) down until it just touches the wood the blade should clear or just barely touch the wood. If you are just touching the wood with the pressure feed rollers and the knife hits hard on the surface (spun by hand) then there is a factory setup issue and you should send it in for repair or maybe you can exchange it

Comment

I'll give this a look tomorrow. I won't be able to exchange it, because I got it from a guy that bought several of them marked down. His works fine. If this turns out to be the problem (factory set-up) do you have any clue where I could send it for repair?

Comment

Go here to locate a service center and enter your ZIP

Looks like there is one about 30 miles from you but I would call first to make sure they still service Ridgid. I did a search in my area and a bunch of them were no longer authorized repair vendors.

Comment

how much are you actually trying to plane?

Comment

Originally posted by dfiorito View Post
                      I know this might sound silly, but do you have the dust port attachment on the unit? I know the first time I fired mine up, it made a horrible noise, wouldn't move anything and then I realized that it needs to be attached in order to work (there's a safety button it depresses when attached properly).
                      The roller that the blades mount on have an interlock. When the dust hood is installed the little Red button(interlock) is pressed. The roller and blades can freely turn. You have to be carefull and make sure the left side of the dust hood slides into place properly so the little button is pushed down. When you need to change blades you have to push the Red button down to unlock and turn the blade roller, it will lock into place where you need to be to remove the next blade. The 4330 I got yesterday works like a charm. You can't plane to much at a time tho. If, for some reason the "Indy Cut" gizmo did not work I would bring the feed roller down to the wood and then pull the wood out and go down 1/2 - 3/4 of a turn on the wheel and feed the wood in. I found the best way is to NOT try and make too much of a cut at once. I open (unfold) the dust hood, no dust collection, and let the chips blow out onto the floor. After a half hour I made enough chips to fill up a 30 gal. container. Planers make CHIPS!!!

Buck

Comment

Originally posted by bmurch View Post
                        I'll give this a look tomorrow. I won't be able to exchange it, because I got it from a guy that bought several of them marked down. His works fine. If this turns out to be the problem (factory set-up) do you have any clue where I could send it for repair?
                        You may still be able to do an exchange even without a receipt. The last I knew they gave store credit for returns with no receipt, but that may have changed.

Comment

Working...
                        X