X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4511 Differences Wk 35/47

Ok, as some of you know I had to return my saw. It was a build week of 35 and the one I got in exchange is week 47. Both are year 08. Some of these things don't really amount to much, but changes I found, none the less.

Serial number under the extension wings. Not the saw number but prehaps the build number. It is on a small tag, glued to the wing.

Metal T-slots in the wings. These are where the leveling adjustments are made.

The tape measures for the rip fence are made of metal. My first set were mylar or something of that nature. These have a foam backing under them and are harder to remove. I left mine in place and will replace as soon as my set comes in. Changing out is more of a personal preference, as I can see white ones better than the silver on silver.

Throat plate has 5 leveling screws. The first one only had 4 and created a low spot at the back. This is a big plus for me, as I was going to add a set screw in that area.

The power cord seems to be made of a softer material. Not a big deal, but easier to unkink.

The tops all match perfect. I know some of you had good matching sets to begin with, but mine had a little difference between the 3.

The miter guage is silver and has a better finish on it. The front is machined and buffed. My orgional was black and the front was painted also.

That is what I have found so far, some of you may already have the changes that I have noticed. All in all, still a good saw, for the price.

Re: 4511 Differences Wk 35/47

Thanks for the list!!

I havent noticed the 5th screw in the throat plate, maybe I just didnt look good enough (is it behind the splitter?)

I think the tops matching is still hit or miss........my week 50 saw had a left wing that didnt match at all. Since I had already swapped out the main table top from a new saw at the local HD (original had chips in it), they also swapped the extension.

Comment

5th screw is behind the splitter. 2 in front and 3 in back. Probably should have made that a little more clear.

Comment

Forgot to ask: did Ridgid get involved with your broken arbor issue?

Comment

Not yet. Store guy said I might get a call once it get received at RDI.

Comment

Just looked at my throat plate, and there is definitely not a 5th levelling screw. There is one at each corner. You say your 5th was directly behind the splitter? On my throat plate, the slot for the riving assembly goes all the way back to the end of the throat plate, so there is no spot for a 5th screw.

As an aside, is the height adjustment a little harder to raise up than lower? Im guessing its normal because of the weight of the whole assembly, just wanted to be sure (didnt really pay attention during assembly).

Comment

how the hell do you know what week the saw was made?

Comment

Yes it is behind the splitter. I will post a picture later.

To find the date look at your serial number. The first part is date code. Something like 2 letters followed by 4 numbers. My old one was CD0835, new one is CD0847. Hope that helps.

Comment

I did'nt check the serial number on my saw but I believe that it had to be one of the earliest one's made since I received it January 8th, and I have 5 leveling screws on the throat plate and the miter gauge is silver with a machined front.

millman

Comment

Still putting mine together, but for what it's worth, it was purchased a few weeks ago and the code is CD0847.

Comment

I just picked up this saw 2 weeks ago from HD in Bellingham, WA. Date code is CD0836 (so that makes the manufacture date 1 week after Southwood's first saw).

I have all the changes of his 'new' saw except the 5 leveling screws in the throat plate so it seems that 0835/36 must have been right when the changes were implemented.

Chris

Comment

Working...
                      X