No announcement yet.

Favorite HD Quote

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Since I seldom talk to anyone at BOB (big orange box), I was sitting here wracking my peabrain trying to come up with a quote for you. The only one I can remember is from the "Tool" guy at our local BOB. I was trying to buy the jointer. He told me NOT TO buy such a dangerous machine. I had to go to another store to get one.
    I wish I was making this up.
    xman
    It\'s all in the name: Bucheron (FR)= woodchopper

Comment

I forgot this one, the wife reminded me.

I was in the middle of a scroll saw project and sent the wife to HD. She looked in the tool coral where they've alwas been and the peg was empty. she asked an associate(?), a lady, and was told:

"The Ridgid scroll saw blades have been discontinued".

Insted of building new stores and remodeling old ones they need to work on employee training.

Jim D.
      By my hand As best I can.

Comment

When looking in vain for a salesperson:

"I'm sorry sir, but during our reorganization all employees were promoted to management."

Or was it just a dream?

Comment

How about this one!
          Went to buy DP1550 and after physically checking everywhere for one I asked the sales rep if they had any. They checked the computer and said no sorry we show -1 on the computer so being careful to not step into the black hole where that DP was missing from I asked if I could take the floor model since I can actually inspect it and test it. The answer....
          "Sorry Sir. That is only a floor model for display. Its not a real drill press"
          I left the conversation at that point.

Comment

I was recently in the Borg looking for plain old varnish -- NOT POLY.

Asked the "expert" in the paint section. She took me down the aisle and pointed to a can of shellac.

I told her it was shellac -- NOT VARNISH.

She informed me rather smuggly that it was the same thing.

Comment

Home Depot will never get better, as long as you continue to buy from them. I'm pretty simple, but when I'm treated badly once, I can usually give them another shot. But when it happens a second time, I'm through. The old saying, "Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me." is true. You can only be made a fool of, or taken advantage of, if you allow it. Home Depot doesn't have anything that you can't get anywhere else, except the Ridgid tools. Ridgid is a good tool, but they are not any better than Delta, Powermatic, Porter Cable, Milwaukee, Dewalt and on and on. For the life of me, I will never understand why Ridgid continues to allow HD to sell (??) their products. You would think, if for no other reason than the woodworking forums, Ridgid and HD would do something about the situation. But they're not going to, and that's one of the reasons why LOWES and the catalog companies are doing so well. Home Depot has not only received the last dollar that they are getting from me, I will not spend another minute of my time in their stores and be abused by their uncaring, uniformed and smart-*** staff. Just my 2 cents worth.......

[ 03-11-2003, 01:32 PM: Message edited by: Old Rookie ]
              KenC

Comment

Ken,

It's to bad you have had such a negative experience with HD. Out here Lowes is the same way. they don't get much of my money. I've noticed that with the unemployment up, the knowledge base is coming up in HD. the store in my home town the employees are very nice and always greet you. At Lowes you have to say excuse me at least twice to get acknowledged.

Bill

Comment

Old Rookie:

Couldn't agree more with your thinking. However, when the BOB is the only thing in my area and when I need supplies quickly it's all I've got. I would prefer Lowe's, their stores here are great and so are the employees, but the closest one to me is a half hour drive away. So until Lowe's comes to my part of the woods I kind of stuck with Big Orange.

Jim D.
                  By my hand As best I can.

Comment

Jim.... I guess I'm fortunate. We have 5 LOWES within 20 - 25 minutes of each other. We have 3 HD stores, one of which is brand new; just opened about 3 months ago. Even it looks like the old stores.... dirty, cluttered, display units put together poorly and crap setting on top of them. All 3 HD stores have the Ryobi 3100 saws on display, but not a one of them is complete, and the fences just lay on top of the saw, along with the other crap. It's the biggest disservice to the tool manufacturers I've ever seen. It's beyond me as to why any tool maker would use HD to sell their products.
                    KenC

Comment

This is my favorite quote...

"Good Afternoon; Is there something I can help you with?" [img]smile.gif[/img]
                      Regards,<br /><br />Big Johnson<br /><br />Pictures: <a href=\"http://www.woodworkersweb.com/modules.php?set_albumName=albuv85&op=modload&name= gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.woodworkersweb.com/modules.php?set_albumName=albuv85&op=modload&name= gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php</a>

Comment

Well, I heard the classic "Ridgid is made by Home Depot" not too long ago.

But I agree, if you go to a big box, you have to expect that kind of service and know how. If they took the time and spent the money to train and hire people who know what they are doing, no one would shop there because they are too expensive. I find it amusing that people shop at these places and really expect 10 ridgid reps standing at every store, and dewalt reps, and so on. it doesn't work that way.

The funny part is, they sit at lunch and make fun of the people that come in and ask the stupid questions.

Comment

I didn't mean my last post in a bad way by any means... I do like it when someone offers to help... Many times I will let them show me where something is even if I already know just to have them help me and maybe give there $0.02 on it... Maybe we will both learn something... Never know... Can't judge a book by its cover, or I would have been put on the shelf for good...
                          Regards,<br /><br />Big Johnson<br /><br />Pictures: <a href=\"http://www.woodworkersweb.com/modules.php?set_albumName=albuv85&op=modload&name= gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.woodworkersweb.com/modules.php?set_albumName=albuv85&op=modload&name= gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php</a>

Comment

"I thought all table saws were stiff!" When asked where the Ridgid table saws were.
                            info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

TSBREWERS...... Obviously I can't speak for everyone, but I don't think many, if anyone expects a manufacturer's rep to be available in the tool department of a big box store. Unless of course, it has been advertised that there will be a rep there on any given day or weekend. However, we do have the right to expect an available employee that at least knows enough about the products to talk intelligently, be able to answer your questions, and is willing to do all that they can to see that the customer is treated with respect and in such a way that the customer will want to come back again. So the bottom line here is, they don't have to have a tool experts that knows every tool forward and backward. But they should have someone that is somewhat knowledgeable about their products, and is willing and able to find the answer to questions they don't know the answer to. It's just called professionalism and respect. And we do have every right to expect that from any business that we choose to do business with.
                              KenC

Comment

Had to bring this thread back up. Saturday I was in a HD and was looking at the Ridgid tools. I started looking at an RAS and an employee came up and asked what I do for a living? I told him I was an Industrial mechanic. He told me to forget about the RAS that woodworking would just be a hobby for me and that all I needed was a Ryobi table saw. That would be more than I COULD ever need. Just for the hell of it I asked about a 3612. He said he had one but it would cost more than what use I would get. He showed me a 2424 and said it was the 3612. I lost it then and there. I told him that he was correct about woodworking being just a hobby and nothing more and asked him if he wanted to buy back my BS1400, TP1300, TS2400, and WL1200. Told him I would through in my Craftsman RAS, and both CMS and SCMS saws then I could afford to buy his Ryobi TS.He asked me what all those numbers were that I wanted to sell him back. REAL BRIGHT TOOL CLERK
                                info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

Working...
                                X