Favorite HD Quote

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

**Shakes Head**

That's bad when the designated retailer for Ridgid is pushing Ryobi over Ridgid. Now wonder neither HD or Ridgid is happy with the sales of the Ridgid Woodworking Machinery.

Seams like with this kind of sales tactic, Ridgid could fire HD on the spot and get a more profound company to retail the most price competitive, quality machines we all love so much!
    John E. Adams<br /><a href=\"http://www.woodys-workshop.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.woodys-workshop.com</a>

Comment

Would you like that super sized

Comment

"I don't know if we carry that or not and the guy who works this department isn't in today." Got that answer yesterday.
        ================================================== ====
        ~~Don't worry about old age; it doesn't last that long.

Comment

This is a very interesting thread. My quote would be: "Walk, don't point" (a quote during my orientation training at HD last year.) Let me provide some context: my wife and I had spent the last 6 years building a place to live and working from 5 AM till midnight and keeping up with my regular day job. At the end we had a very nice place to live, lots of construction experience and debt, and an oldest child about to go to college. In an effort to start bringing the income closer to expenses I took on a second job working Saturdays. What convinced me to apply at our local HD in Almost West Virginia was a salesrep who actually walked me over to find something rather than saying "its three aisles over near the top you can't miss it." I got good customer service that day, and I try and provide it to everyone. Reading this forum and Ryobi's and Fine Home Building website gives me some good feedback on what not to do, and what to do.
          Yes, you and I SHOULD expect every HD employee to help you find something or to find you someone who can help you even if it means having to go back to the service desk.
          No, you won't be able to get expert advise from everyone in the tool department that is as good as you get from Jake and this forum. HD's turnover and large part-time staff of college students and people needing every dollar and the 40,000 items each store sells means we read the labels on the side of boxes to find out amps and horsepower and how many batteries come with. But a fun part of my job is opening up a box with you to examine the pieces of a new toy and see how things go together. HD has product knowledge sessions for employees once a month at 6AM on Sundays where I work. That sometimes conflicts with church and family obligations, and how much can you learn in two hours once a month?
          Yes, I've given some really dumb answers which would probably make the top ten here - usually my first 1/2 hour on the 6 AM shift I'm more helpful keeping my mouth shut until the coffee kicks in. Sometimes I feel like saying "I don't even know enough about that to give you bad advice!"
          No, you won't get good help when the parking lot is full Saturday afternoon and the man or woman in the orange apron has three customers in line and the cashiers are paging because they need immediate help because some items are missing a price label and the line is backing up.
          Yes, you can get better advice from an older experienced carpenter working at HD with bad knees and a bum shoulder who need the extra paycheck and like working inside out of the weather and knows tools and safety. But if that person is like me and works one day a week you'll have better luck finding things by being helped by a 20-year old who just stocked the overhead bins and knows into which holes they hid the inventory this week.
          No, a salesrep shouldn't direct you away from what tool and brand you want to buy. Yes, we'll try and match what HD sells to what you need. We're not on commission, so I get paid the same for helping someone find an 83 cent bag of stainless steel washers or a $4300 generator, and we don't get paid more for selling a homeowner an 18-volt Milwaukee for installing curtain rods instead of a 7.2 Ryobi cordless. HD has exclusive arrangements with both Ridgid and Ryobi, so we sell them both.
          Any way, thanks for reading this far. "There's free coffee just past register 2." (a quote from me.) If you're in the tool corral where I work this and every Saturday, stop and say hi to the guy with glasses. You'll know it is me because I'm
          - - Dusty&Lefty

Comment

D&L, Nicely put. I will agree that there are some great employees at HD and they do know thier products and uses. I just find it amazing that HD could also hire someone as useless as that boy that tried to tell me(3 times his age and experience) that I could never use more than the Ryobi TS because I'm a mechanic and not a carpenter. Oh well, maybe, just maybe he learned a little from me. Dan
            info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

You mean to tell me that HD is not self-serve. When I go in the big box I do not expect to help. I treat it as self serve and self serve only. I had dealt with very nice employees and some that where dumber than rocks. HD prices are cheap at the expense of hiring less knowledgeable staff. If want expert advice I go to a hardware store. You can't get expert service and bottom line prices from the same store in my opinion. These stories are funny so keep them comming.
              Reggie
              Reggie

Comment

Working...
              X