X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Table Saw Adjustments

When you lower your saw blade all the way down should the top of the blade be lower than the top to the table?

Welcome to the forum.
    The answer to your question is probably yes.
    What saw do you have?

[ 02-03-2004, 07:37 PM: Message edited by: Lorax ]
    Lorax
    "Did you put the yellow key in the switch?" TOD 01/09/06

Comment

TS-2424

I have had the saw for 5+ years and it is a jewel. It does not go all the way down. It is about 1/16 above the table when I lower it all the way down. If I remember correctly it should go to about a 1/4 inch below the table. I cleaned the cabinet of all saw dust(which was not much) used q-tips and all. I usually do this maintenance about every 1 - 1 1/2 years. I do not take it apart though. Do you have any suggestions?

Comment

Do you know if it is a 10" saw? Is it possible thay you have a 10" blade on a 9" saw?

Comment

It is a 10 inch saw. I still have the original balde(don't use it anymore). I am looking at the owners manual and it says Rigid TS2424 10" Contractor Table Saw.

Comment

Ronnie,

you're not the first to bring this topic up. I was reading similar thread on woodnet forums when a guy was trying to make zero clearance inserts. I haven't checked my saw to see if it goes down but the consensus was that alot are higher than 1/4 inch below and that if you want to make zero clearance inserts, clamp a 2 x 4 over the insert and let er rip.

Jake

Comment

I'd check the threads on all the trunion parts. Maybe there is a burr or something that is keeping the blade from dropping all the way down. i know it won't go 1/4" below as my 3612 only goes about 1/8" at most, but it should really drop below the surface.

Do you have the motor and belt set correctly? I know that with a normal contractors saw, the belt must be set correctly and the motor must have enough free range of motion or the blade won't go through full range of motion

Comment

I will check the Trunions tonight. Not sure what you mean about a bur though. I have not had to adjust the parallelism since I purchased the saw. It is still true. I am not sure how the trunion will affect the motion of the saw blade? Checked the belt last night and it is fine. Motor moves fine and all.

Comment

And yes I first noticed this when I was setting up a new 0 clearance insert. This is what I get for not making my own insert!

Comment

When I make zero clearance inserts for mine I rout a groove part way thru where the blade will be. I noticed this on premade ones being sold for Ridgid saws and others. I use the steel insert as a pattern and also rout the edge so they fit the lip of the table opening. When I make the intial cut with the saw blade or dado in a new insert I slide the fence over the insert and lock it to hold the insert down. Measure to insure you don't have the fence over the blade.

Comment

Think you may have to live with it until the day comes when you have to dismantle the saw. It's just too difficult to get a good look at things from underneath.
                      Dave

Comment

Originally posted by daveferg:
                        Think you may have to live with it until the day comes when you have to dismantle the saw. It's just too difficult to get a good look at things from underneath.
                        i second the motion about checking your belt and motor setup.
                        the blade on my saw DOES go beneath the throat plate. In the instructions, it says that when your blade is all the way up, pinch the belt at about the halfway point of it's length.
                        the motor should pivot freely.
                        if it doesn't, re-read the instructions for setting up the motor and belt.

Comment

Thanks gents. I checked the trunions, belts and etc last night. The only thing I have not done yet is remove the table from the cabinet with everything else mounted. I'll wait to do this when something else requires me to do it. I'll just live with it for now. I appreciate the advice.

Comment

If it makes you feel better my friend has the same problem with a brand new $1800 cabinet saw. Everyone he has spoken to says "yeah thats a problem" but he has to live with it. His original blade was flush with the top, but every other blade is a 1/8" proud. I wonder if they have the blade installed in the assembly process?

Comment

Working...
                            X