Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it normal to not have to adjust much 3660 assembly?

My blade seems square, the rails didn't need shims. The only thing I can't take care of is if I tighten the front left bolt that holds the extension to the table top it causes it to rise a hair over the surface of the main table. I just tightened it a little past finger tight and it's flush.

I have to figure out how to use my dial indicator and the rest of the stuff I bought now

Re: Is it normal to not have to adjust much 3660 assembly?

Sounds like you might need a very thin shim for that extension. A thin piece of cardboard might just do the trick.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I suspect that most decent quality machinery is adjusted pretty closely at the factory. Many people blame quality control for any variability, but I think it's the jostling from shipping and handling that determines what final adjustments end up needing to be done, so it's kind of random.
      Last edited by hewood; 06-01-2009, 04:59 AM.

Comment

Mine was very near perfect as well. I did need a few shims on the back rail. The fence and wings were bang on.

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
          Sounds like you might need a very thin shim for that extension. A thin piece of cardboard might just do the trick.
          I don't think I can put anything there and then not have a gap rather than a lift.

Fortuately the problem is that edge of the table lifting when I torque it down rather than settling. So just handtight + a little wrench should keep it set.

My rails were perfect and once waxed nice and smooth.

Got my Incra 1000 mitre dialed in and going to work on my sled tonight. This weekend I am going to do some test cuts for square and then do my sled cut once I know I am true.

Anyone have a good write up on how to use a dial indicator?

Comment

I had the same problem with the wing moving as I tightened it down. What I did was use some C-clamps to align the surfaces of the wing and the top then tighten things down.

Comment

Originally posted by alkemyst View Post
              My blade seems square, the rails didn't need shims. ...
              For what it's worth... I just received my reconditioned 3650 from the Borg yesterday and have been steadily (that means slowly and with the utmost attention to detail) putting it together. I keep asking myself if I'm doing something wrong because, like you, I am finding the blade parrallel to the slots, square, etc... Don't need shims front and back... It's scary. I am a perfectionist (that's a bad thing), and I can't find anything wrong with this thing apart from what appears to be an extra bolt/nut combination, or an error in the manual... which is the subject of another post that I'll write in a minute if I can't find the answer already in the forum. But as far as the quality goes... yeah, I guess we got a good quality tool that goes together the way it should. Weird huh?

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernOtter View Post
                For what it's worth... I just received my reconditioned 3650 from the Borg yesterday and have been steadily (that means slowly and with the utmost attention to detail) putting it together. I keep asking myself if I'm doing something wrong because, like you, I am finding the blade parrallel to the slots, square, etc... Don't need shims front and back... It's scary. I am a perfectionist (that's a bad thing), and I can't find anything wrong with this thing apart from what appears to be an extra bolt/nut combination, or an error in the manual... which is the subject of another post that I'll write in a minute if I can't find the answer already in the forum. But as far as the quality goes... yeah, I guess we got a good quality tool that goes together the way it should. Weird huh?
                My manual said 15 bolt/nuts for the legs when it's really 16. There was another issue too...also I found a couple needed 10mm/11mm wrenches instead of the 1/2 or 7/16 mentioned (it's a mix of standard and metric)

Gotta build my Miter Express next...not happy that the miter express rail is not T-slotted for the miter arm too. Debating what to do with my 1000SE.

Comment

Originally posted by Wood_I View Post
                  I had the same problem with the wing moving as I tightened it down. What I did was use some C-clamps to align the surfaces of the wing and the top then tighten things down.
                  Thats what I did with mine, works just fine, I can see the line but cant feel the line where the two meet.

Comment

Picked up a 5" C-clamp on sale at HF and now my table is about as flush as I can get it.

Comment

Glad that worked for you!

Comment

Working...
                      X