X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BANDSAW PURCHASE

My shop is now ready for a band saw. I need one that will allow me to cut lumber down to 1/8" to 1/2" thick and at least 12" wide, maybe all the way up to 14" wide. Have done extensive research already but now its time to get opinions from real people. Can someone make recommendations on what machines I should be looking at the closest, and why? You guys and gals have all helped me immensely since my injury 4 years that gave me the opportunity to do woodworking whenever I want or can, from setting up the design of my shop to buying the best tools. Some advice I followed, some I did not. lol...But it was all appreciated. Almost every power tool in my shop is a Ridgid tool, except for a couple of small hand held babies. So now, I am back asking for advice from those whom I trust to be honest and straightforward. Thanks much for your help and advice in advance. Murray
    Goldenwing

You didn't say what your budget was but you are going to need a serious machine to do 14" resaw. I have been saving my pennies for a while and when I have enough I will be buying this machine. Buy once last forever. I have talked to many owners and all have been delighted with this machine. Contact Minimax and they will send you a video and literature on the machine
    Minimax-USA MM16

Comment

If you are looking for a serious resaw machine then you should be looking at www.lagunatools.com . These people put out a "real" band saw that will last you forever. They are not cheap but they are the best.

Comment

For heavy duty resawing, the BS1400 from Ridgid is NOT a canidate. It works OK at best. It is underpowered for resawing. You can do it, as I do, but it is slow.

Comment

Thanks everyone. Going to look at all the saws mentioned except for the Ridgig. And thats kind of sad. All the tools, well mostly, are Ridgid, including a scrollsaw, table saw, oscillating sander, planer, drill press, even my hammer is Ridgid. They have always been good to me and silly as it sounds I am a huge fan of Tony Stewart so all the rest of my other small hand tools are orange. Anyway, I definitely want a machine that will last me and have the power I need. I do not mind going slow, but only if its because I want to go slow, not because the macine makes me go slow. Thanks again....Murray
          Goldenwing

Comment

Originally posted by Goldenwing:
            ............. even my hammer is Ridgid.
            I really like my right handed 18oz Ridgid claw hammer. Got it for $9 when HD was closing them out. Do you have the right handed or left handed hammer?
            Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Goldenwing----you don't really have to feel sorry about Ridgid's bandsaw entry not meeting your expectations. All you have to do is to set the standards you did, and you wipe out many of the low-end band saws. Re-saw takes a degree of precission in the machine.
              Dave

Comment

I am right handed......I figure to invest this kind of money into a machine to do something that I do not know how to do, I better get the best machine I can...it will be tough enough learning resawing, but if I am fighting with a bad piece of equipment, in the long run it will cost me lots more in the wood I ruin and the time I am frustrated....and since my time is limited, it is very valuable to me....much more valuable to me than anyone else seems to think it is worth...lol....thanks guys.....Murray
                Goldenwing

Comment

Two quick points----well, maybe 3--- First, determine if you're going to add a riser----you might as well do it before you start building up an inventory of blades. Second----best blades I've found are Timberwolfs. Finally---I have the original US-made Delta 14". As good as that saw is, it still took a bit of tuning to get it right. I think "Mastering Woodworking Machines" by Mark Dunske (sp?) is one of the best for tuning your bandsaw or other tools.

good luck!
                  Dave

Comment

DF is right on the money with the Timberwolf blades. My buddy has a small 1 HP 14" bandsaw that he was going to replace because he could never get it rip 2X stock in half. We were at the wood show and I convinced him to pickup a timberwolf blade, we installed it that afternoon and were able to rip wisper thin slices from 5" wide maple in minutes. I made a quick resaw fence from some scraps and used a c-clamp to attach it to the table. I guess the whole point of the story is that the blade will make or break any saw. (Does not apply to the Minimax or Laguna they have carbide ripping blades)

Comment

Goldenwing,

I like my Grizzly G0555... sometimes, they have a sale where you can save about $100.

It's one of my favorite tools.

IMHO...
                      Have FUN! Joe ... www.woodworkstuff.net ..... My Small Gallery: http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/showg...0&ppuser=1389/

Comment

Working...
                      X