X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ts 3660 noise on start up

I have been using my new ts 3660 table saw for a few weeks now and I love it. But there is one thing that I am not sure of. When I start up the saw it makes a loud grinding/rubbing noise, when the blade gets up to speed it stops and is whisper quiet. It is hard to describe the sound it makes but it is kind of a concern to me.
    Has anyone else experienced this same thing, if so how have you fixed it. Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Re: ts 3660 noise on start up

Mine does'nt make any rubbing noise. Try it with the blade all the up then down to see if it changes anything, check if the belt is rubbing the belt guard, also with the saw unplug see if when turning the blade/belt by hand if you can feel anything rubbing. Good luck...Pat

Comment

Pat,
      I lowered the blade and turned the saw on and it starts quiet, then a raised the blade all the way up and it starts quiet. So my next step was to raise the blade to a height to cut 3/4 inch stock and it makes the noise. It seems like when there is less tension on the belt, it skips and makes the note. I have looked all over the manual and don't find anything on tightening the belt. I must have to call ridgid.

Thanks for the help.
      Has anyone else had this problem??

Comment

OK, this is how I adjusted mine. I slid the motor mount rails in and out till I found a point that with the blade all the way up or down the plate that the motor mounts to still had about a half inch of travel left at both ends of the slot. You can see this in the two photos. As far as I can tell the weight of the motor and plate spring is all that puts/gives tension to the belt. Hope this helps...Pat
        Attached Files
        Last edited by PMR413; 06-03-2009, 09:29 PM.

Comment

thanks for the photo, I'll give that a shot. I hope it works.

Thanks a gain

Comment

After a few weeks, mine was making a noise on startup. I found it to be the belt tension. I would just be sure the motor does not bottom out when the belt is under tension. This was easy to check (saw off obviously) by just picking up the motor slightly to loosen the belt, then let go and see if the motor bottoms out (sorry I don't have a better way to explain this, but if you check out and understand how the motor moves, its easy to see and should take all of 30 seconds to identify and repair). If it does bottom out (mine did), the belt needs to be tightened. I hope this helps.

Comment

If you will raise the blade to it's top position and then check to see if the motor mount plate is further away from the spring plate than 1/2 " that is your problem. With the blade raised loosen the screws that hold the motor mounting plate to the rods and move the motor back until there is no more than 1/2" between the plates and you should have the tension adjusted to work fine.

Comment

so i checked on the position of the motor, you guys were right. The belt didn't have enough tension and the motor bottomed out when the blade was lower. So I loosend the bolts on the slide rail from the motor and moved it in about 1/2" and now it has good tension on the belt and no more nasty noise when I turn on the saw.

Thanks to all who replied. I really appreciate your input.
                Todd

Comment

Working...
                X