R4330

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R4330

I picked up the planer yesterday. They had a card that stated it had legs etc. The clerk opened the box, no stand. The top guy said " you bought the 4511 right?", i'll give you a deal, $75.00 off the retail price. I said fair enough.

I set it up temporarily on a couple of saw horses with a 1" plywood top. I will build something better. I spent some time adjusting the extensions, I found from reading up on the subject that the extension adjustments are crucial. I wanted a couple of sanding blocks and ran two 2' 2x4" 8 " long pieces thru the planer, forgot the manuals warning that a piece should be 14" long minimum. They of course tipped up slightly then went thru and came out perfect, no snipe, mirror finish. I then planed some Red Oak 10" wide I" thick down to 3/4", again no snipe, mirror finish.

Don't know how well it stacks up with other planers. First I ever owned. I am satisfied so far.

BuckB
    Last edited by BuckB; 06-06-2009, 08:56 AM.

Re: R4330

Ditto - just got my 4330, and it's also my first planer, and I am also very pleased!!

Definitely one of those "why didn't I buy this a long time ago" moments. I get a couple inches of snipe on the leading end, but I haven't tried making any adjustments yet. And the quality of the cut was great, even on 10" wide figured maple...

Mine didn't come with legs, though, and I didn't see any mention of legs for it anywhere...

Comment

Re: R4330

Originally posted by ratter View Post
      Ditto - just got my 4330, and it's also my first planer, and I am also very pleased!!

Definitely one of those "why didn't I buy this a long time ago" moments. I get a couple inches of snipe on the leading end, but I haven't tried making any adjustments yet. And the quality of the cut was great, even on 10" wide figured maple...

Mine didn't come with legs, though, and I didn't see any mention of legs for it anywhere...
      I noticed that the extension wings were a tiny bit below the bed, about 1/32". You cannot adjust it out and make the whole extension level with the bed.
      After doing a little research I discovered it's supposed to be that way. The trick is to adjust the extensions so that the extreme outside end is level with the bed, all the way across from side to side. If you do that you will see NO snipe. When adjusted that way the board starts feeding in at the correct angle, same with the out feed. Don't even bother with the big hinge lock nuts, they only adjust the pressure when folding up the extensions. The little bolts and lock nuts are the ones you want to adjust. Of course with long stock you need rollers or an out feed table, I use rollers and grab the stock as it comes out to make sure it does not drop, same with feeding a long piece. Made some fence facings for the 4511 out of Red Oak. The stock was 1" thick. It had some dry rot on one 4" side. I was able to plane it away, ended up with 2 perfectly smooth and straight 3/4" facings with no rot.
      A few lite coats of thinned poly and a coat of wax should do it.
      Next a sacrificial fence for dado'ing so I can mount a feather board and use the 4511 for cutting rabits.
      My buddie has a 4'x4' stacked right, up to 12' long he got from a huge Red Oak in his yard. Been under cover for 4 years. Take it he said, you never saw stock move so FAST!!!

BuckB

Comment

Working...
      X