X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Router Table Extension

I see that alot of guys have a router extension on there table saws.
    I am debating on building a router table or using the right side of my 3660 Ts. I have enough room in my shop to build the router table but it would also be nice to save space for the future and use the unused space on the table saw top.
    So I have a couple of questions and would really appreciate anyones opinion and wisdom.

I have a router lift for my bosch router, would that add too much weight to the wings on the ts. I see that some guys have added angle iron to the table saw for added strenght but would you still need to make leg supports.

What advantages do you like with the router table extension on your ts. Do you use your table saw rip fence for the router fence or build a seperate fence. How about dust collection?

Any impute would be great and or questions.

Thanks

Re: Router Table Extension

I am in the same boat with the same saw. I plan to add one on the right side of my saw and would appreciate the info as well.

Comment

I'm not a fan of using the table saw as a router table. Number one your limiting the router table length to 27". Dust collection is also a more difficult situation to solve, not impossible but it will take more work and put more weight on your table saw wing. I built a dedicated router table on wheels. The table top and fence are 36" long, dust collection is fantastic, and everything router related is stored in the cabinet. When I'm not using it I wheel it over against the wall out of the way. If you've got the room and the means to build a seperate router table that would be my choice. Once you have a router table it's unbelievable how much you will use it. I don't know how I got along without it! There not difficult to build and you can even buy a premade top and fence for very reasonable money from places like Rockler or Woodcraft.

millman

Comment

I second millman's thoughts.

Big G

Comment

Like most things, it is a matter of personal preference and the amount of room available.

In my garage shop, I have a router table on the right side of my 3650. The 27 inches is sufficient for my needs. When the router is not needed, I lift out the router and router plate and store them on a shelf. I have a hardboard insert that I drop in the opening and I have a nice extension table on the right of the saw.

I made a steel frame that supports the router table (and flip up outfeed table) so there is no additional weight on the rip fence rails. I have two wooden braces that are attached to the outer edge of the router table frame and run to the saw leg lower right cross brace. The saw and router table easily move around via the Herc U Lift. This has worked so far with no tendency for the saw to tip. If needed when I want to table rout a heavy piece of lumber, I can add additional legs to the right of the router table to the floor.

For dust collection, most of it is taken up by the vacuum fitting on the router fence. For the rest, I have purchased a contractor saw dust bag from Harbor Freight and plan to mount it under the table around the router with a shop vac attachment added to the bag.

Happy routing

Bill

Comment

Originally posted by millman View Post
            I'm not a fan of using the table saw as a router table. Number one your limiting the router table length to 27". Dust collection is also a more difficult situation to solve, not impossible but it will take more work and put more weight on your table saw wing. I built a dedicated router table on wheels. The table top and fence are 36" long, dust collection is fantastic, and everything router related is stored in the cabinet. When I'm not using it I wheel it over against the wall out of the way. If you've got the room and the means to build a seperate router table that would be my choice. Once you have a router table it's unbelievable how much you will use it. I don't know how I got along without it! There not difficult to build and you can even buy a premade top and fence for very reasonable money from places like Rockler or Woodcraft.

millman
            I actually have an incredibly small shop, but I'm still building a dedicated router table. I'm intentionally building it to the same height as my table saw, though, so that it doesn't interfere and, best case, could actually behave as an additional side support for exceptionally wide cuts. It's also the same height, and in line with, the bed of my mitre saw, so each doubles as an infeed/outfood support for each other (granted, you have to think about orientation of each, such that a fence, or router bit doesn't end up blocking your work surface of the other machine, but with all things working together, you could end up with a separate work station with a very large table surface.

--Jeff

Comment

All of Millman's points are very valid but of course some of us just don't have the room for a dedicated table. My garage is my shop and I have to make the best use of the space I have. My wife and I have an agreement that BOTH cars must fit into the garage because hail storms are so common in our area. This is why I don't have a dedicated router table.

I ended up building an extension instead. Notice that the extension is not tied to the fence rails in any way. The only modification I had to make to the table itself was to drill holes for mounting the angle iron.

Here are a few pics.

As you can see, I have a piece of flat iron sitting in the cutout for the table wing. The supporting angle iron pieces are attached to that flat iron as well as the angle iron that is bolted to the end of the wing. I have been meaning to add some extra support by attaching some legs to the angle iron but so far I have found that this provides plenty of support for the entire structure.

I recently saw that Bench Dog makes a cast iron router table extension. It is $349.00. If money is not an issue, I highly recommend that route. My table only cost me about $30 in materials. I can't remember how much the mounting plate was but, as you might expect, is wasn't cheap.

Comment

Working...
              X