No announcement yet.

Open to suggestions

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Open to suggestions

Finished fitting the doors to the wall unit tonight. It's 92" long, 48" high, and 12" deep. Is constructed of just over 4 1/2 sheets of 3/4" partical board with Oak edges for hinge mounting.

Problem is, it weighs so much, I have no idea how in heck I'm getting it off it's back on the outfeed table, to the wall after painting.

Plus, hold it in place while I attempt to secure it to the wall. I failed to estimate the weight factor in design (live N learn).

Any and all suggestions are welcome except the fire wood ones [img]tongue.gif[/img]

I have figured on leaving the doors off until it is mounted to help reduce weight in mounting. 4 of us tonight tried to upright the thing, and it was all we could do to do so.
    John E. Adams<br /><a href=\"\" target=\"_blank\"></a>

Get some stronger friends.

Actually, I end up doing most of my home projects by myself. I can get a little help from my wife moving and lifting, though nothing as large as you are talking about. What I have done in the past with similar projects is first mount a 1x2 on the wall (level of course) with the top edge at the correct height to rest the bottom of the cabinet. Once you get it lifted in place (you may still need some stronger friends), you know it will be level and holding it in position requires little effort.

[ 06-01-2003, 07:53 PM: Message edited by: MarkR ]

On the front of the cabinet cut some 2by4 to the heigh of the cabinet to the floor. Use them to help support the cabinet.

[ 06-01-2003, 11:23 AM: Message edited by: Andy B. ]
      Andy B.

In our family outing today, which included a stop at HD for some hardware, I picked up some heavy duty wall brackets. Figure I can pre mount them on the wall to support this thing, once I get it there. Wish I had a friend with a small fork lift! This thing must go over 300 lbs.

Find some of those invisible strong people Norm uses. I don't know if they are elves or Porter Cable loading dock guys.

Gee wiz, with that much weight are you SURE that your wall can support it plus what ever that you put into it. 300# is a lot of weight for a non structual wall. let all of us know the out come please !!!!!!!!!

The biggest cabinet I've ever mounted was decently smaller and it was still an ordeal! Normally, I'd go with the 1x2 (or 2x4 with lag screws for something big) pre-mounted and level on the wall like MarkR suggested. However, my experience with the big cabinet was that it still wasn't "effortless" to hold it up even sitting on the strip. So installation turned into a big 2-hour ordeal. If I did it again, I would spend a few extra bucks for 2x4's and build a stand on each end to fully hold the cabinet in place while it is mounted. I'm just talking about things held together with screws and cross-braced well. You could make them a little tall in the shop and cut them to coarse level with a circular saw in place. Then shim the top as needed for actual level.

As for getting it to the wall, good luck and I hope you don't have to deal with stairs [img]smile.gif[/img]

As I was applying the primer coat to the monster tonight, I was looking at the wall and it's location on it's back on the outfeed table. If was able to get the thing upright, and get the outfeed table to mounting location, I'd only have to lift it about a foot to rest on the heave duty brackets I plan on mounting to the wall. Perhaps the garage could spare the floor jack for this operation.

Still plan on leaving the doors off and moutning them afterward. Now, I never gave a thought to wall strength...that was a very good point brought up. It's a pole structure, 8' O.C., with 2x4 perlins. Both sides sheeted with 1/2". Mounting side is plywood, other sided is OSB. Perhaps a 2x6 frame under the unit mounted to the poles on both sides would be better than the HD brackets into the perlins.

The unit will hold over 100 plastic storage bins filled with hardware, bolts, nuts, washers, screws of all sizes. And ongoing project hardware such as pulls, hinges, etc. So it's contents will also be consistantly heavy metal.

It's on the wall. Wasn't too bad. Cleared all the machines out of the way. Tipped up unit on the outfeed table, moved it along the wall, and added scrap plywood blocks under the ends to get it to heigth (one at a time). Put 4-1/2" bolts through the back, through the one perlin and wall. And 4-1/4" bolts throught the wall across the top, and 4 more across the bottom. Didn't use the brackets.

Everything went pretty smooth except when I hung the 2 center doors (frameless) the particle board moved and warped. Must have been from the latex paint. Have to grind an arch in the shelfs so the doors will close all the way now. Shame, they fit perfect before painting.