X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Granite chipping on 4511

I bought new 4511 Granite top table saw and like it so far...but.

Both front corners of the miter gauge slot has chipped in first two weeks.

Seems like the mitre gauge sticks until fully on table.

Is there a wax to use to make gauge slide onto table easier.

Do I need to "adjust" the mitre gauge?

Can chips be fixed, or should i just ignore, like first scratch on new car?

Thanks,
    Dtech-Dave

Re: Granite chipping on 4511

You can try a good paste wax like SC Johnsons floor wax in the yellow tin.

Im not 100% familiar with the stock miter gauge (if you have the $$$, buy a good aftermarket gauge, one that has adjustable washers), but it might have adjustable sliders with allen screws in the center. As you tighten the screws it presses the washer outward, causing more drag in the miter slot, so loosening the screws causes less drag.

Also not sure if it comes with a t-slot adapter already installed.........if it does, take it off. In case the miter gauge is sticking out of the slot and you hit it or lift up on it too soon, normally the t-adapter would cause the slot to snap (because its not cast iron). Getting rid of the adapter will allow the gauge to fall out of the slot if its pulled back too far (so be careful) but it will prevent any more breakage.

As far as fixing the chips, do you have the material that chipped off? Epoxy seems to be the way to fix it.........either epoxy the chip back on, or use epoxy and sand paper to "shape" a piece of fill that looks like what used to be there.

Comment

Originally posted by Dtech View Post

Thanks,
      Dtech-Dave
      I found that if you insert the miter gauge into the slot by holding the T slot tab beyond the rear of the table it cannot catch in the slot. In other words drop the miter gauge bar into the slot with it's end hanging a few inches beyond the rear of the table, then pull it toward you. Do the same when removing it, nothing to catch on doing it that way. Putting it in from the front requires you to line it up. removing it requires you to KEEP it line up before you lift it or you may leverage the tab against the the thinnest part of the slot, not a good idea.
      Drop it and pull. push it back and lift it out. Works every time.
      Habits, habits!

Buck

Comment

Originally posted by BuckB View Post
        I found that if you insert the miter gauge into the slot by holding the T slot tab beyond the rear of the table it cannot catch in the slot. In other words drop the miter gauge bar into the slot with it's end hanging a few inches beyond the rear of the table, then pull it toward you. Do the same when removing it, nothing to catch on doing it that way. Putting it in from the front requires you to line it up. removing it requires you to KEEP it line up before you lift it or you may leverage the tab against the the thinnest part of the slot, not a good idea.
        Drop it and pull. push it back and lift it out. Works every time.
        Habits, habits!

Buck
        Now, why didn't I think of that? Great idea.
        De Colores,
        Dow
        Boerne, TX

Comment

Mr. Buck is absolutely correct. That is the correct procedure for all saws not just granite.

Big G

Comment

I found the "T" on the end of my mitre guage to be off. In the end I had to loosen the screws slightly so it has some wiggle room and loc-tite them in place.
            When inseting the guage from the rear, make sure you are not pulliing it up at an angle or the "T" will hit the granite.
            Last edited by Millipede; 06-24-2009, 05:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dtech View Post

Thanks,
              Dtech-Dave
              Watched Cool Tools yesterday on DIY and they demoed a new product from PROCALIBER which is a granite patching kit. The process is fairly simple and the resulting patch looked real good. Of course, on TV they could even make me look good! Cost is $20 and works on all granite tops.

Big G

Comment

Working...
              X