X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Woodworking software

What are some of the better woodworking software available to layout my cut list...I'm doing a closet, cabinet job.

Thanks,

Rob

Re: Woodworking software

I would recommend Sketchup and a cut list plugin...

See Ruby Library Depot (sketchup plugins) and CutList.rb , CutListAndMaterials.rb or CutListAndMaterials33.zip

A great site to learn Sketchup (besides Google's own Sketchup tutorials) is SketchUcation

Good luck hth

PS.

Another link I forgot I had...
    Last edited by jbergstrom; 06-17-2009, 05:43 AM. Reason: more info
    Cheers! - Jim
    -------------
    All truth passes through three stages: First it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident. - Schopenhauer

Comment

Cutlist Plus
      Poplar Branch Wood Crafts

Comment

Kind of along the same lines, has anyone here had much experience here with CNC routers built with DIY plans?

I know a couple of different groups out there have come up with plans, but a quick google search brought this one up:

http://buildyourcnc.com/latest.aspx

A real CNC router costs way too much, though since I'm much better with computers than I am at woodworking currently, it seems like an interesting project to me. The software is where a lot of the money goes to towards buying a commercial CNC router, and I know that there are open source software options for CNC programming in Linux.

Comment

A new entry to furniture design software is Sketchlist 3D. It has 2D and 3D representations of your design. They can be rotated to check the design and various views of the project.

It also produces parts lists, cut lists and much much more.

I designed a four cabinet entertainment center on it.

A trial version is available.

Check it out at http://www.sketchlist.com

Bill

Comment

Originally posted by KenM View Post
            Cutlist Plus
            http://cutlistplus.com/
            ---------------
            Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
            ---------------
            “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
            ---------
            "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
            ---------
            sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

SmartCut 2d

http://www.rasterweq.com/specifications.htm

Comment

Hmmm Im gonna have to download this sketchup thing.

been using paper and pencil drawings for the last 30 yrs.
                guess I need to modernize HUH !

Comment

Originally posted by ThomasL1959 View Post
                  Hmmm Im gonna have to download this sketchup thing.

been using paper and pencil drawings for the last 30 yrs.
                  guess I need to modernize HUH !
                  It's a very handy program... being free is a real plus as well.

It's becoming the wood workers, cabinet/furniture makers, carpenters tool of choice. it's quite intuitive and allows you to design and visualize things in three dimensions before you build.

There's a ton of info and help available out there on the web

In addition to the links I posted above there is also a great woodworking forum I belong to where a guy named Dave Richards hangs out. He is a master with sketchup... He writes articles for Fine Woodworking and teaches classes about Sketchup. He offers his time and knowledge for free over on Family Woodworking in the Designs, Plans and Sketches section...

Good luck
                  Cheers! - Jim
                  -------------
                  All truth passes through three stages: First it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident. - Schopenhauer

Comment

Well , I was given autocad 14 by my brother. (along with 5 text books)
                    I looked at it - tried it - decided it was not that easy to use.
                    opened a text book - started reading, 10 mins later was falling asleep.
                    that was 8 or 9 month's ago.
                    (they have been collecting dust ever since then)

I'll give this sketch up a try, thing is I can look at a 2d drawing and
                    picture it in my head in 3d.
                    when I explain a drawing to someone ie; how this fits to that, they ask
                    "How do you 'do' that".
                    alot of you are probably the same way, I just see how it all fits together.
                    guess its cause Ive been building things my entire life.

I remember the first project I built was a dog house.
                    (when I was in third grade)
                    yes my dad cut the wood - but - I told him what I wanted.

cheers

Comment

Originally posted by ThomasL1959 View Post
                      I'll give this sketch up a try, thing is I can look at a 2d drawing and
                      picture it in my head in 3d.
                      when I explain a drawing to someone ie; how this fits to that, they ask
                      "How do you 'do' that".
                      alot of you are probably the same way, I just see how it all fits together.
                      guess its cause Ive been building things my entire life.

cheers
                      That's a function of spatial thinking or abilities

Watch some of the Sketchup video's, you'll see that it's very different from Autocad etc.

Good luck
                      Cheers! - Jim
                      -------------

Comment

I've had to do a little work with mechanical engineering, seems like solidworks is much more user friendly and easier to figure out early on. Overall, autocad is better known, and more flexible as it is used in many different industries. Both are probably overkill for simple projects that weekend woodworking hobbyists would need. When I get some time, I'm going to check out the other great recommendations mentioned on here.

Comment

Working...
                        X