zero clearance insert start/finish blade

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: zero clearance insert start/finish blade

I have used MDF ZCI's for years on several different saws, and never put a finish on any of them. They have always held up very well. As to making the kerf the full height of the blade, this can help if you are doing a quick or non repetative dado cut. You just line up your pencil/scribe line with the side of the kerf and you're good to go.

Comment

Originally posted by hewood View Post
      Most 10" saws don't drop a 10" blade low enough to start the kerf, so you typically need to use a 7" or 8" blade to start, but once you've cleared enough kerf depth to accommodate a 10" blade, use the blade that'll be in the saw so you get your "zero clearance"....hopefully it's a real nice blade!
      Another way to do this is by routing a narrow groove deep enough to clear your 10" blade in the bottom of the ZCI along the blade position. Usually a 1/4" deep is enough clearance. Then you can mount your ZCI using the correct blade and just run it up through to make the kerf slot.

Comment

Originally posted by 3rdtime View Post
        Another way to do this is by routing a narrow groove deep enough to clear your 10" blade in the bottom of the ZCI along the blade position. Usually a 1/4" deep is enough clearance. Then you can mount your ZCI using the correct blade and just run it up through to make the kerf slot.
        Yep; I actually make my ZCI's out of two pieces of 1/4" hardboard. The lower half has the rear locking tab in it, and a hole around where the blade will raise. When glued to the top half, I've got a perfectly sized locking tab, and a 1/4" recess for a 10" blade... works pretty well (I do generally have to sand down the bottom half by tiny amount (maybe 1/16th..?) to ensure it's perfectly flush, but otherwise it's a perfect fit.

--Jeff

Comment

Working...
        X