X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• zero clearance insert start/finish blade

when making a ZCI for ridgid table saws, is there a consensus about finishing the blade opening cut in the ZCI with the same blade that starts it (usually one blade of a stack dado set) or should the opening cut be started with the single dado blade and finished with whatever 10" blade is uaually in the saw? comments appreciated.
    there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Re: zero clearance insert start/finish blade

Originally posted by FINER9998 View Post
    when making a ZCI for ridgid table saws, is there a consensus about finishing the blade opening cut in the ZCI with the same blade that starts it (usually one blade of a stack dado set) or should the opening cut be started with the single dado blade and finished with whatever 10" blade is uaually in the saw? comments appreciated.
    You should use the blade that you are going to use with that particular insert. If you finish it with the outer blade of your dado set, you'll likely create an opening that is too wide for a regular blade and leave a small gap which is undesirable.

Comment

One of the primary purposes of a ZCI is to customize the insert to fit a particular blade so yes, finish off cutting the opening with the blade you'll be using with the insert.
      Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

and for those who have used MDF for ZCI or any other shop application, what type of finish have you used to extend the useful life of your MDF jig, fixture or other shop application??

Comment

and for those who have used MDF for ZCI or any other shop application, what type of finish have you used to extend the useful life of your MDF jig, fixture or other shop application??
          I made several ZCI's for my R4511 out of 1/2" mdf. I put a couple coats of primer on each and two coats of spray on polyurethane. They're holding up really well for me.

Comment

what did you use for primer?

Comment

I used some oil based Kilz primer. The water based primer could potentially have an adverse effect on mdf.

After each coat dried, I sanded it down smooth to get rid of any rough spots.

Comment

would that be the same type of kilz that one would use to prime problem walls and ceilings? and regarding the kerf cut in the insert, i understand that it should be made with the blade that will be used with that insert. but how high should the blade be elevated when making the kerf cut? the full height of the blade or should there be inserts for a given blade with differing "height" cuts ( which determines the length of the cut in the insert, assuming that teh insert does not have a built in splitter and that the kerf cut in the insert was made by raising the blade up into the uncut ZCI. e.g., for 1/2", 3/4", 1", etc. material)
                Last edited by FINER9998; 06-19-2009, 09:36 PM.

Comment

If you can afford, or keep up with, ZCIs for every possible blade height in a variety of possible blades more power to you.

I just match them to blade width and live with the rest of it.

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
                    One of the primary purposes of a ZCI is to customize the insert to fit a particular blade so yes, finish off cutting the opening with the blade you'll be using with the insert.
                    Agree with Dave, cpw, and others. It's also helpful to label the ZCIs with the balde they were married up with. Just use a sharpie and mark the blade on the underside (or topside if you're not fussy). This is why so many say to make your own. You need about a half dozen or so to be covered. I have two for my better blades, one at 90° and another at 45°.
                    ---------------
                    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                    ---------------
                    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                    ---------
                    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                    ---------
                    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

would that be the same type of kilz that one would use to prime problem walls and ceilings? and regarding the kerf cut in the insert, i understand that it should be made with the blade that will be used with that insert. but how high should the blade be elevated when making the kerf cut? the full height of the blade or should there be inserts for a given blade with differing "height" cuts ( which determines the length of the cut in the insert, assuming that teh insert does not have a built in splitter and that the kerf cut in the insert was made by raising the blade up into the uncut ZCI. e.g., for 1/2", 3/4", 1", etc. material)
                      I wouldn't raise it up until I needed to, but eventually it will get cut at the full height.

Comment

Most 10" saws don't drop a 10" blade low enough to start the kerf, so you typically need to use a 7" or 8" blade to start, but once you've cleared enough kerf depth to accommodate a 10" blade, use the blade that'll be in the saw so you get your "zero clearance"....hopefully it's a real nice blade!

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
                          Agree with Dave, cpw, and others. It's also helpful to label the ZCIs with the balde they were married up with. Just use a sharpie and mark the blade on the underside (or topside if you're not fussy). This is why so many say to make your own. You need about a half dozen or so to be covered. I have two for my better blades, one at 90° and another at 45°.
                          I'm about to make some ZCIs. I understand I will fasten it into place and raise the blade. But how do you make one for a 45 degree cut??? When you raise the blade you'll wind up making a very wide cut, won't you?

Comment

Originally posted by formware View Post
                            I'm about to make some ZCIs. I understand I will fasten it into place and raise the blade. But how do you make one for a 45 degree cut??? When you raise the blade you'll wind up making a very wide cut, won't you?
                            If you only intend to use it for 45s then it will be a skinny cut also.

If you intend to use it for a wide range of angle then it will no longer be a ZCI

Comment

Originally posted by formware View Post
                              Make sure the bevel is set to the angle you want (ex: 45 degrees) BEFORE you raise it through the new insert. The blade will follow the angle, giving a ZCI. Trying to move the bevel adjustment with the blade up through the insert will result in a lot of bad things happening!!

Go
                              Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

Working...
                              X