Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm on the fence. 3660 or 4511

Do I go with the 3660 or the 4511?

I'm seriously torn between the two. For me, both saws have pro's and con's.

I thought by reading this forum it would help me to decide but in actuality,
    it’s made my decision tougher.

I keep holding my breath. Waiting for someone to report they broke the granite by dropping something on it or by tightening a screw to much when putting it together.

This leads me to my question(s)?

One of the con’s (for me) of the 4511 is the 30” rip. (I would prefer 36” or more)

Can the rails on the 4511 be easily adjusted?
    What I mean is, are there pre-drilled holes?
    I wouldn’t feel comfortable drilling into Granite.

I’m on the fence and the answer to the question(s) above would certainly help me make that decision.

To be honest, if I wait much longer, there may not even be a decision to make.

Victoria has no 3660’s left, Vancouver says they have 15.
    Victoria can’t (won’t) have any shipped over to the island.

To top it off, not one of the 7 people (6 HD employee’s, 1 Ridgid sales employee) have any idea’s on if or when the 4511 will make it here.

Thanks,
    Ken

PS. Oh, and if someone could just end it and make my mind for me that would be great!

Re: I'm on the fence. 3660 or 4511

I work with granite surfaces all the time for work mostly for the flatness.I have watched them get abused pretty bad even dropped from about 4 ft.
    I have never seen one break though. I would not worry about that.

(The one granite slab I saw drop about 4 ft was four inches thick compared to the 1 and 3/4" r4511 top)
    Last edited by wrenchhead; 06-18-2009, 03:19 PM.

Comment

I sorta went thru the same dilemma myself, I had a few days left on my 90 day return policy on a 3660. Debated upgrading to the 4511 and eventually did do it.

Yes, I worry the granite will chip/break, but it would be mostly my doing if it happened. The only real worry I have about it are the miter slots......fairly easily remedied by pulling the t-brackets off the end of your miter gauge/jigs. Granted, they can "fall out" of the slot now (if you pull them back too far), but how many times do you pull them back too far

In the end my small worry about the granite was outweighed by the other larger improvements over the 3660: more room (no motor hanging off the back, big for me because I couldnt push the 3660 flat against a wall), heavier duty cabinet-mounted trunions, much better dust collection.

As far as the rails, there are threaded inserts in the wings and table top of the saw itself. The front rail hanger bracket lines up with the threaded inserts and you bolt those in, then bolt the rail to the hanger. The rear rail bolts right into the threaded inserts. You can (and a few people have) move the front hanger bracket to the right one set of holes gaining you more rip capacity. You can also do what I did and make longer rails/brackets. I can give you teh specs if you want, basically I ended up with a 63" long front rail holder, countersunk a bunch of holes in it to mount to the saw and a few extras to mount a router table. It came out nice, but alas I got a good deal on a use Incra TS setup so my rails (and all the work) are sitting in the corner of my shop unused.

Good luck.

-Chris

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I just feel like I'm being *pressured into buying.

*Only because the 3660 has one foot out the door. Will most likely be long gone before (if) the R4511 comes in.

What irks me is I can't get a straight answer from HD or Ridgid on availability in Canada or even a ballpark figure?

If I was a contractor, HD would be tripping over me to help me out.

I guess I've got 90 days. I could try out the 3660 and wait for the 4511 to come in.

Thanks again,
        Ken

Comment

Originally posted by IndyDakota View Post
          Thanks for the replies. I just feel like I'm being *pressured into buying.

*Only because the 3660 has one foot out the door. Will most likely be long gone before (if) the R4511 comes in.

What irks me is I can't get a straight answer from HD or Ridgid on availability in Canada or even a ballpark figure?

If I was a contractor, HD would be tripping over me to help me out.

I guess I've got 90 days. I could try out the 3660 and wait for the 4511 to come in.

Thanks again,
          Ken
          Not so sure theyd be tripping over themselves to help you if you were a contractor

FWIW, the local HD stores have no clue about the 4511. One of them has no idea they have 2 in overhead storage, and the store I bought mine from had no clue the saw existed until I asked them about it.

So, ignorance is bliss.....you cant get a straight answer because they dont HAVE any answer

Comment

I have a friend who I will shall be called 'Z' who works at a HD.

'Z' has been trained to cater to the contractor, (got to bring in those big bucks I guess) The common folk mean nothing to them.

To be fair, 'Z' also said each store is different, depending on who/how managed.

There are reasons why I can't ask 'Z' for assistance which is a long story.

Ken

Comment

Heh, I get the idea

Funny thing about that is that some of the pro-desk people mistake me for a contractor (either its the ugly "house work" clothes I wear, or the fact that Im at HD an awful lot), and Ive been allowed to checkout at the pro-desk, bypassing a lot of lines. They even offered to cart some stuff into my truck for me.

Funnier thing is that when I get something huge (my TS3660 for example) I had to wander around to find someone to help me load it onto a cart and into my truck.

Comment

At even money the R4511 has more design advantages IMO...just moving the motor inside the enclosure gives a host of improvements that are similar to the improvement a cabinet saw offers, but in a lower power and duty rating...smaller footprint, better dust collection, no lifting hazard when the motor is tilted, less leverage on the trunnions, shorter drive belt, cabinet mounted trunnions, plus it has a riving knife, steel t-square fence, larger handwheels, tons of mass, and a rust free top.

I've have read of others sliding the rails to the right.

Comment

If I can't get any concrete answers on the 4511 tomorrow, I'll probably end up with the 3660. (for 90 days at least)

Thanks for all your help.... ssooooo excited. I'm going to rip all the wood I've got just for the heck of it.

Ken
                  Last edited by IndyDakota; 06-18-2009, 11:49 PM. Reason: stupidity

Comment

PS. Oh, and if someone could just end it and make my mind for me that would be great!
                    Easy, buy what's available and don't look back. Also factor in the difference in price (closeout vice new model pricing) AND that you will be waiting (and hoping) that the 4511 shows up one day in your neck of the woods.

I'm not sure why you are hesitating, go get the 3660.
                    Last edited by Bob D.; 06-28-2009, 09:55 AM.
                    ---------------
                    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                    ---------------
                    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                    ---------
                    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                    ---------
                    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

I just spent over a week trying to find a 3660. The Local HD here did a search and found one in MD for me, seeing as it was only 80 miles away it was no biggie. The reason I drove 80 miles for the (old) model was that I was talking to one of the orange aprons at my local store and it seems they were shipped 2 of the new 4511's , one of which was destined for store display duty. Well it seems that the associate that assembled the first display found a way to shatter one of the pcs of the granite top .... first hmmm ...... I took a good look at the display after it was finally assembled and noticed the T track miter slot was badly chipped, probably from people looking at the saw that didn't realize there was such a thing as a T style mitre gauge .... second hmmm .... then I realized that Granite hates large temp swings coupled with impact or shock of any kind. I waxed nostalgic about how many times in the winter i banged into the corner of my old table saw with something while rearanging for the days work while waiting for the stove to warm up the shop .... Third Hmmm .... then there is the fact that I don't want to buy or make more featherboards when i have a bunch of nifty lil magnetic ones ....... last Hmmmm ...... there are some nice features about the 4511, no question at all, BUT it still can't make up for the glaring mistake of putting a kitchen countertop on a tablesaw. Hey, I got it, since I have a woodstove in my shop, I can use the granite top to roll out pastry and pizza crust for breakfast and lunch in my shop

Comment

Thanks to everyone for the replies and insights.
                        I'm heading out the door right now to get the 3660.
                        Be home in a couple hours. Man, I could hardly sleep last night.

Comment

I have a 3650 and really like it. The large rip capacity is great when doing cabinets or furniture.

I have to agree that the granite is a gimmick on the newer saw. Would much rather have a cast iron top. But the improvement in dust collection on the 4511 is a huge feature in my view.

You can't go wrong with your choice of a 3660, though. You'll make a lot of nice projects on that machine. It's a better mechanism than other traditional contractor's saws.

-Andy

Comment

Thanks Andy. I did end up grabbing the 3660 last Friday. I noticed they were having a sale on so I ended up grabbing two Diablo blades. It was basically 2 for 1. Couldn't resist.

On my way home I thought I would stop in to Lee Valley and ended up walking out with the Incra 1000se miter gauge.

I decided that I'd better get home before I'd spent any more money.

Unfortunately I can't setup the saw yet and it's killing me.
                            The garage has been commandeered for painting of kitchen cabinet doors but that will be done tomorrow night. Then its my turn to play.

Side note, I received a call from HD yesterday. 15% off all Ridgid tools July 2-5. I don't know if this is in Canada only.
                            He said there wouldn't be any problems bringing my receipt for an adjustment. Savings, $90.

While they were loading the saw into my truck I asked about the availability of the R4511 in Canada.
                            I also asked about the conflicting stories I'd received.

He said that until a couple days ago, Vancouver Island hadn't had a Ridgid rep for several months.
                            The new rep told him that they will be getting the new saw here on the Island later this year. They are just waiting for CPA/CSA approval.
                            Take it for what it's worth.

Anyhoo, Can't wait for this weekend.

Comment

If only R4511 had a cast iron top I'd be all over it. That granite thing is pretty much a deal breaker for me. Happy with 3650.
                              In order to understand recursion, one must first understand recursion.

Comment

Working...
                              X